Floor joists on basement walls and crawlspace stem walls look wonky

I have never quite seen anything like this method used for the floor joists that sit on top of the basement walls. Home was built 1972. I believe that behind the galvanized tin is concrete, but not sure exactly where the upstairs walls are resting (possibly on a concrete stem wall of sorts behind the tin, which I am guessing is the inside of a concrete form. And then also notice the floor joists are cut at an angle so not really much of the 2 x 8 joists are supporting the floor above.

(It is a half basement and a crawlspace. Area over the basement is all constructed this way. The third picture is in the crawlspace where it makes a transition. the forth is a zoomed pic. in the crawlspace.)

Is any one familiar with this or seen this type of construction or have any ideas?? Keep in mind that in my area code inspections back when the home was built were pretty much nonexistent and if it was it was probably done by somebody’s uncle.

Yes they are wonky! :flushed:

…and need correction for the floors’ integrity.

2 Likes

Looks like the go straight through to me, Larry, but maybe not.
Never seen that done like that before.

1 Like

Is it possible there is concrete steps or porch above those “wonky” joists?

1 Like

Actually I believe you’re right for at least some of those areas. Even though this basement was not finished there was a lot of stored stuff down there and we could see a lot of the rim joist area. Looking and comparing outside photos it does look like some of those areas did have a deck at one area and the front steps, where you see the last two photos were taken. Still not real sure why they did it this way

No they do not go through, but are cut at an angle along that tin. It just does not appear that there is much strength at the edge where those are setting they only go back maybe 2 inches onto the ledge and as you can see there are no hangers. Or other means to hold the load.

IMO, They did it this way because there is no rim joist because of the poured porch. The angle cuts may be the underside of the steps leading to the porch.

It may be unconventional but it appears to be performing in this 50 yr home. I would make note of it. I do not think I would call for repair or correction. Other will disagree.

(it almost looks like a plywood pan for a concrete porch pour).

2 Likes

Thank you Brian, I think you’re right and I appreciate your insight.
The house itself seems to be sound, no wall cracks and everything is straight.
Now the electrical is a different issue. In general I have a pretty good because 90% of the home’s here are less than 30 years old. but anything older than about 40 years old the home’s were sometimes done by uncle Bert or whoever including plumbing and electrical so you really system goofy stuff is there really wasn’t any code inspections per se.

1 Like

We have parts of rural GA that do not have code inspectors. In some of these rural towns it is the wild wild west. In these older wonky homes, your opinion combined with how things are performing is what matters. For example, I have seen old timber on 24" wide spans doing just fine. Nailed sheet metal roofs. S-traps etc. etc. It is what it is. I just try to paint a picture for my client so they understand.

1 Like

How is the house anchored down?

1 Like

Gravity… That is another thing, the joists at other areas are embedded into concrete or block wall directly (like what you would the end very old construction) and I’m just guessing that sill plate for the upstairs exterior walls are most likely just nailed to the plywood decking of the floor. I’m recommending a contractor take a look at this. When all is said and done it sounds like they are going to be completely remodeling this house ( just short of demolition anyway). as the lot is worth more than the home. this is actually a deal that is within the family ( grandparents home) and it looks like they are just trying to get the best feel for what it would take for immediate repairs. I am recommending a contractor investigate just as a CYA for me on a lot of this.

1 Like

Certainly non-conventional work, not anchored to the foundation, but seems to be performing adequately.

2 Likes