Unconventional floor support implementation

I have a head scratcher from today. Pictures are of floor joists from foundation wall to center I-beam. Clearly the foundation wall and the beam are not aligned by height. Joists were cut at one end to interface at the sill, butchered at the other to tie in at the I-beam.

The builder cut the joists so that the top portion rests on the beam; the bottom rests on a 2x4 inside of the I-beam. All joists were like this. Not a single crack in any of them as you would expect, and all floors were level and study. The house was impeccable. This is not homeowner mods, this is original builder work. The house is a 1989 high-caliber 2-story home.

I have not seen this in 1k+ inspections and don’t know what to make of this. Let me know if you have insights into this seemingly unconventional work. This is for my knowledge. TIA.

Joists width is reduced by an inch or so and weakened accordingly, so it’s not best-practice level work but realistically, if that’s the worst of it, it’s not a big deal. I’d mention it as non-typical framing that would not significantly affect the structural integrity and say whether or not I saw any signs of failure.

1 Like

Seems to me that WHEN this eventually fails, it will fail due to this overcut!!

That was my thought exactly!

Thanks Kenton, it is helpful to get input for the master. Makes me feel a lot better about my own assessment