florida contractor and inspector

(Dennis J. Bonner) #1

how many florida internachi members are also licensed contractors?

0 Likes

(David Asselin) #2

I'm in BC and I'm a contractor. I don't remember on which site I saw that before but it was a large real estate firm that were saying on their home inspector page to not hire an inspector that is also a contractor. I guess the idea is they don't want the contractor to use the inspections to get more work.

I would think that marketing wise, it sounds better to be a good inspector that is also an active builder compare to someone that isn't. I do understand that construction doesn't make a good inspector but for marketing, I think it makes sense to use it.

0 Likes

(Dennis J. Bonner) #3

is licensing required in b.c? with classes and c.e?

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #4

[quote="dasselin, post:2, topic:112792"]

I'm in BC and I'm a contractor. I don't remember on which site I saw that before but it was a large real estate firm that were saying on their home inspector page to not hire an inspector that is also a contractor. I guess the idea is they don't want the contractor to use the inspections to get more work.

I would think that marketing wise, it sounds better to be a good inspector that is also an active builder compare to someone that isn't. I do understand that construction doesn't make a good inspector but for marketing, I think it makes sense to use it.
[/QUOTE]

Home Inspectors exist due to Contractors.

Think about it. How many defects (not material failures) do you find in a home, every home?

Now why would you think it was a good idea to advertise you are a contractor?

Yes, the general public DOES think like that.

Just sayin'.

0 Likes

(David Asselin) #5

[quote="dbonner, post:3, topic:112792"]

is licensing required in b.c? with classes and c.e?
[/QUOTE]

Yes I would think it's one of the hardest place in the world to become a home inspector including a minimum of 50 hours of real inspection field training.

0 Likes

(Roy Lewis, CMI - North Florida Inspector) #6

[quote="dbonner, post:1, topic:112792"]

how many florida internachi members are also licensed contractors?
[/QUOTE]

I am.

0 Likes

(Dennis J. Bonner) #7

[quote="dasselin, post:5, topic:112792"]

Yes I would think it's one of the hardest place in the world to become a home inspector including a minimum of 50 hours of real inspection field training.
[/QUOTE]

sorry, i meant contractor licensing and c.e
0 Likes

(Dave Fetty, CMI) #8

It has puzzled me why the state allows exterminators to offer "free" termite inspections.

0 Likes

(Roy Lewis, CMI - North Florida Inspector) #9

[quote="sfetty, post:8, topic:112792"]

It has puzzled me why the state allows exterminators to offer "free" termite inspections.
[/QUOTE]

Why?

0 Likes

(Dave Fetty, CMI) #10

Cause there is people out there that try to charge $1700 to replace a water heater that needs a new TPR valve or $638 for a new toilet when the old one needs a flapper.

0 Likes

(Roy Lewis, CMI - North Florida Inspector) #11

What does that havta do with "free" termite inspections.

0 Likes

(Dave Fetty, CMI) #12

Well it was a "free" estimate all that needs done is a TPR valve replaced and the toilet valve replaced and the are trying to stiff my Mom $2400.

0 Likes

(Roy Lewis, CMI - North Florida Inspector) #13

Well! the estimate was free.
Get another estimate.

0 Likes

(Reece D. Welch) #14

I am.

0 Likes

(Nick Gromicko, CMI) #15

Most new InterNACHI members come out of the trades.

0 Likes

(Rick Elliott) #16

[quote="gromicko, post:15, topic:112792"]

Most new InterNACHI members come out of the trades.
[/QUOTE]

I believe its a mandatory requirement to be a good inspector.
Yes you can gain the knowledge, but as always, there is no substitute for experience! I've been a state licensed building contractor in both Florida and California. I don't carry liability or errors and omissions insurance.
I overstate everything and anything that could be of consequence to my client.
That, as well as a good inspection agreement!

0 Likes

(Preston L. Halstead, HI549) #17

I am a GC and State Inspector as well as HI

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #18

[quote="sfetty, post:12, topic:112792"]

Well it was a "free" estimate all that needs done is a TPR valve replaced and the toilet valve replaced and the are trying to stiff my Mom $2400.
[/QUOTE]
The 'root' cause of the term "Conspector"!

0 Likes

(William E. Billings) #19

I am and have been for many years

0 Likes