I'm typing this from the Florida Home Inspector licensing meeting in Tallahassee.

We’re talking about grandfathering this morning. Contractor’s Association wants all home inspectors to get a contractor’s license first.

I think I showed the board that contracting and inspecting are two different disciplines. A summary of my presentation:

1. Contracting experience is useful to home inspectors, however, if all the inspectors at the meeting looked back at their last few inspection reports, they will find that most of the defects they uncovered were of systems that were installed properly and up to code.

2. InterNACHI produces enormous advanced courses, but none of the courses teach anyone to install anything. They teach how to inspect.

3. Knowing how to install an HVAC system properly is useful, but different than knowing how to inspect that HVAC system 20 years later.

Fight the FABI agenda…that “building inspectors” are the only persons qualified to be home inspectors.

Let the board know how poorly contractors perform in real life. Our threads have demonstrated how some HVAC guys actually perform a service call on a home inspection. One and a half hours of a two and a half hour inspection is often what a former contractor will devote to their area of expertise. This is not a home inspection.

Further, how many “bad” contractors who couldn’t cut the mustard would take advantage of a free pass to inspect homes?

I’m gonna get beat up for saying this, but I think there is enough published evidence to bear me out.

Interesting because here in New Hampshire we just instituted licensure for home inpsectors but there is no licensure requirement for general contractors.
Maybe NH should require general contractors to get a home inspector license. :slight_smile:

Paul Punturieri
Certified Home Inspections of NH

Sorry I could not make the three hour ride to Tallahassee. Been fighting a wicked, bad cold for days. Only got on here long enough to see what if anything was going on.
Case in point, I did an inspection last week where the HVAC was installed in 1996 with no way for the unit to get Return air. Indoor unit was mounted on top of one 2 x 4 leaving only a 1.5 inch return access at the front and the back of the unit inside the closet. The return air grill was a wooden louver panel screwed into the door. Coolest indoor air temp during the entire inspection was 79 deg. Air temp at the supply air grills was 74-76 degrees. That is just plain stupid on the contractors part. BTW, that is the second one in this condo complex I found this way. Units are directly across the parking lot from each other.

We are now hearing from home inspectors who don’t want to get a mold assessment license because of the required $1 million dollar E&O policy.

Do the realtors in Florida who sell these houses without mold assessment have a mandatory million dollar E&O policy?

Amen

We’re now talking about what the requirements for grandfathering (mold) should be.

I just finished arguing that a mold inspection (or assessment) requires a holistic view of the home due to the fact that mold could be caused by plumbing leaks, roofing leaks, structural issues, foundation issues, the exterior, etc. (all stuff home inspectors are best suited to inspect).

And therefore, in lieu of the fact that you can’t join IAC2 without first being a member of InterNACHI (which has courses on plumbing, roofing, structural, foundation, moisture intrusion, green building, etc.), IAC2 members should be grandfathered.

Talking about background checks. Appears to be only be an issue for severe, recent, crimes, but nothing decided on of course.

It also appears that contractors who already have had a background check in FL and fingerprints taken, will have to do the check again so as the department can have a look at recent history.

Meeting should end early. I’ll be driving to Jacksonville now.

I presented 4 times today. I’ll start a new update thread on Thursday assuming I can get online from the Jacksonville meeting.

If you have any particular questions about any issues that were brought up today, I took good notes, so just ask.

Thanks Nick!

Thanks Nick, for the updates, after waiting three years for this to happen, any news is good news.
Doug, John, Rob, Greg and the boss

Thanks nick, go get em

ed

Thanks Nick. Question, isn’t Grandfathering something that would have to be part of the Bill? Can the DBPR impliment Grandfathering? What does your gut tell you about Grandfathering existing Home Inspection Companies here in Florida? I thought that had to be addressed in the Bill. I am confused on that part of it.

No. A state agency has the power to grandfather inspectors in without there being a specific grandfathering clause in the law. I am now pretty positive InterNACHI members are being grandfathered in (our requirements are at least 10 times more rigorous than any other association’s www.nachi.org/rigorous2006). I’m not so sure about one other association and I don’t believe their inspectors will enjoy grandfathering (but that is their problem, not ours).

For what it is worth…

Being a Fl Licensed contractor, inspector and claims adjuster. I believe that Home inspection and contracting have little in common. I have personally seen many contractors’ inspections that were just wrong.

Inspections must be tailored for the job and audience.
Code inspections are to verify code, home inspections are for buyers and sellers, insurance inspections or for insurance qualifications and draw inspections are for banks. I do not believe anyone should do any particular type without proper experience and training. You must know your audience and what is expected for each. I can read a health inspection form but would not consider myself qualified to do these. I support not allowing contractors to do home inspections and think that a home inspector should be properly trained to do a Wind Mit or four-point.

just my two cents

Thanks Nick,

All in business when the Bill was signed should be grandfathered. That would be great if NACHI members were grandfathered.

We also need an SOP that protects inspectors as well as consumers. The bill needs alot of fine tuning, it should be fair to all and not interrupt anyones current business.

Any mention of liability limits yet? One year just like the builder gets would be nice.:smiley: