Florida

Originally Posted By: evandeven
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The new Florida bill:

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=hb1131.html&Directory=session/2003/House/bills/billtext/html/

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Eric,

Can you do a little leg work with the legislature so they know the problem(s) with this bill?

Joe Myers

Joe,

I have already e mailed and called the Senator who sponsored the bill. I have yet to get a response.

Here is the up to date status. They are meeting on it today a 9:00 am.

S1902 GENERAL BILL by Bennett (Similar H 1131) Home Inspection Services; provides requirements re such services; provides certain inspector qualifications & practice standards; limits authority of Agriculture & Consumer Services Dept. to license home inspectors or to impose fees on or file administrative complaints against home inspectors; requires report to client on results of inspection & requires provision of relevant portions thereof to homeowners under certain circumstances, etc. Creates 501.935. EFFECTIVE DATE: 07/01/2003.
03/04/03 SENATE Filed
03/18/03 SENATE Introduced, referred to Commerce, Economic Opportunities, and Consumer Services; Regulated Industries; Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Appropriations Subcommittee on General Government;Appropriations -SJ 00194
03/27/03 SENATE On Committee agenda-- Commerce, Economic Opportunities, and Consumer Services,
04/01/03, 9:00 am, 412-K

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Eric,

The HB 1131 is a dangerous bill indeed. Have you read it yet?

This bill does not make being a board certified home inspector mandatory. That means that only inspectors that belong to ASHI will be eligible to become board certified, unless of course you all can convince the Secretary of Business and Professional Regulation to include the NACHI and NAHI testing and standards under section 3(a) and 3(b).

Section 2(a)Conspicuous type is interesting. Is there any way you can find out why this section was addeed to the legislation? This would actually eliminate some brands of software because the only place conspicuous type is allowed is in the heading. Maybe there are trying to limit your choice of software to a particular brand or manufacturer. Either way capital letters are common in software based reports and two points larger than the rest of the text of the page is very common. I believe the font size I use is like 6 points larger than the rest of the page. Very common indeed and that would mean that I could not use the current format that I use now.

Under section 4, any licensed electrician that would come in to do a follow up evaluation on an electric panel based on the findings of a home insepctor would also have to be licensed as a home inspector because he is not one of the excluded persons. The same for the roofer, the plumber etc.....

While this is probably the most reasonable legislation that I have seen offered by ASHI it certainly is not without it faults.

Joe Myers

Eric,

I did not have a chance to check out the Senate version. Any chance you can post a link to it?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Eric

Im up here in N. Central Fl. and I also emailed my Senator last Thurs and have not recieved anything yet. Too bad it wasnt election year! Im here if you need me to help.

Kurt Bliss

It passed with one amendment. I am checking that out now.

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=session/2003/Senate/bills/votes_com/html/SSB1902_030401.CM.html

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Eric,

What is your take on this legislation. It seems to me like it is pretty descent, given a few minor flaws.

Joe Myers

My initial impression is that it is very weak in some areas and very vague in others.

It doesn’t state that you can’t perform an inspection, just that you are not “board certified” and that you have to tell your client that.

The general public won’t now the difference between “board certified” and nonboard certified.

The vagueness about what organizations will be recognized is a major concern. Is ASHI going to be the only organization? There are others here. FABI, NACHI, NAHI , etc., who will the state recognize?

There should also be a requirement of at least 250 fee paid inspections that conform to the industry standards and you should provide those reports for review to an actual board.

Instead of adopting the ASHI CoE and SoP, the state should adopt their own.

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

Eric,

I would think that licensing home inspectors is going to bring a whole new set of liability to the state. I really think that would be higher if they adopted their own SOP and COE, don't you?

I did see that they are not requiring inspectors to be licensed which is good or bad depending on how you are looking at it. From my standpoint I see it as good that ASHI in Florida has not tried to limit home inspections to ASHI members in Florida. I also seen that they left it up to the board to add organizations and tests which would lead me to think that will depend on who is there at the time, may not be so easy a thing to do.

Like I said, its not perfect but it is defenitely a far cry from the SH** they are pulling up here.

Joe Myers

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2003/Senate/bills/analysis/pdf/2003s1902.cm.pdf

Joe,
The recognized sops are ASHI and NAHI.
Look at the cost per year for the consultant to compare ASHI standards to others. About 50 grand a year. I'll do it for $10,000.00!

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Eric,

$10,000 going once, twice, sold to the chrome guy in the back. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbell

The final draft of the Florida bill provides no regulation for home inspectors. The only requirement is that a home has to of been sold once.

They are now approving organizations such as us now.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Greg

My newspaper ran an article today about regulating Home Inspectors. It mentions ASHI quite a few times, imagine that. If you want to read the article it is the starbanner.com and the author was ryan.conley@starbanner.com.

Kurt Bliss

I noticed in the new Fl senate bill there is some wording in there that a HI can not use the word certified. I wonder if that is a shot at NACHI? I know back in March I went to a mold seminar and someone from NAHI said that “NACHI members call themselves certified after taking a test on their website”.

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kurt,

I have been thinking about this for a few days now as the CA legislation also prescribes that a “certified” home inspector Must be “certified” by a trade association that has been in business for more than 10 years and has over 200 members, it is interesting to note that both of these bills allow for un-certified home inspectors to remain in business, whether that verbiage, is specifically targeted at us is another issue, but it does obviously have severe negative impact on our members in both states.

I for one do not belive that it is specifically targeted at us, mainly for the reason that both bills have been in committee for a long time, not just since we started being a pain in the butt to the larger associations.

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Here is an article about the home inspection licensing.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=SH&Date=20030413&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=304130860&Ref=AR&Profile=1010

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

The latest:

http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=session/2003/Senate/bills/amendments/html/sb1902c1800441.html

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

Heard this morning that Florida has actually passed legislation that will “Require State Certification” for all practicing home inspectors.

Any truth to this?

Looked at http://flsenate.gov and saw nothing new on this subject since May '03 (the last session).

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Michael,

I have not heard of any State Certification passing the legislature, and there is nothing on any Florida government page. We here in Charlotte county however, have to be a "Licensed Contractor of Home Inspections" by midnight Sept. 30, or it is illegal to perform inspections in Charlotte county, even if you are licensed in another county. Charlotte county uses the NHIE (ashi test ![icon_mad.gif](upload://j9pysYkUDeHxjgaVCpqL5B8x4z3.gif) ), and requires 300k general liability, E&O, Workers comp or exemption, a credit report faxed from a credit agency for personal and business, fictitious name filing, corporate minutes, and a blood oath .

I took care of all of this last April, but as of yesterday at 4:30 pm, only 3 other inspectors are licensed here.

The state bill looks very similar, and our county commissioner said that Charlotte county is what the bill was modeled after. Lets have Nick get them to use the NACHI exam!!

Blaine Wiley
Quality Home Inspections
Rotonda West, FL