Footers?

Stephen Alan

my observation based on your images
are the adjustable columns over 3" diameter?
are they rated/labeled for permanent installation?
if not the inspector missed a critical deficiency, imo
http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Inspecting-Adjustable-Steel-Columns/228

if columns are approved a simple end all test i’d perform to try and save the deal or provide assurance for future purchaser…take pix for evidence of what is determined

hammer drill with a 1/2" x 12" masonry bit at least one hole at each flange
the basement slab would be max 6" in most cases as the masonry bit goes beyond 6" into concrete you/they would then have a lot more confidence assuring footings were present

if you hit gravel/dirt at 4"~6" your beef with the inspector is over and he made a lucky wag

if you’ve never used a hammer drill & masonry bit go 1" & retract removing all dust/debris then go another inch & retract removing all dust/debris and so on otherwise the hole can clog and bind the bit which ain’t fun on the ole wrist

make sure you use the right size bit to install anchor w/adhesive upon completing this testing

you can rent and purchase all at the local big box

all may not be lost if you can possibly get the prospect purchaser to return to view you demonstrating your proof

Stephen Alan

my observation based on your images
are the adjustable columns over 3" diameter?
are they rated/labeled for permanent installation?
if not the inspector missed a critical deficiency, imo
http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Inspecting-Adjustable-Steel-Columns/228

if columns are approved a simple end all test i’d perform to try and save the deal or provide assurance for future purchaser…take pix for evidence of what is determined

hammer drill with a 1/2" x 12" masonry bit at least one hole at each flange
the basement slab would be max 6" in most cases as the masonry bit goes beyond 6" into concrete you/they would then have a lot more confidence assuring footings were present

if you hit gravel/dirt at 4"~6" your beef with the inspector is over and he made a lucky wag

if you’ve never used a hammer drill & masonry bit go 1" & retract removing all dust/debris then go another inch & retract removing all dust/debris and so on otherwise the hole can clog and bind the bit which ain’t fun on the ole wrist

make sure you use the right size bit to install anchor w/adhesive upon completing this testing

you can rent and purchase all at the local big box

all may not be lost if you can possibly get the prospect purchaser to return to view you demonstrating your proof

if this does lead to the deal going though i’ll seriously accept the savior fee from the agents commissions…call for quote

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, they are marked as such and FHA compliant according to the stickers. I was considering adding at least one more anchor bolt to each, so that would be no problem to do.

After much comment, my plan of action is…

Request blueprints and inspection reports from my municipality. If there is no indication of footings, then…

Pay for a structural engineer to analyze the structure. If he recommends work, then have it done. I figure that’s the best due diligence when selling to avoid any potential liability. I actually walked into a local engineering company and showed some pictures to them and they said it looked sound and to not bother unless a buyer requests it. Still, the last thing I want is to sell and have it come back to haunt me later knowing the little I know.

Good plan Barry. That would be the least invasive method to confirm the presence of a footing.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/federal-pacific-stab-lok-panels-safe-and-reliable-94478/index3.html#post1234014

I think this about sums it up…

Can’t see it from here, so let’s defer it to somebody else!

I don’t see any potential grounds for litigation though, would you?

Enough said.

The reason he thought there were no footings may be that foundation pads are often poured so that they are separate from the concrete slab, so that you would see a joint around the base of the screw jack the size of the foundation pad. This isn’t always the case, though and it’s not unusual for a pad to be poured as a thickened part of the slab, so that no joint is visible. I don’t see any way to know for sure without drilling. The bottoms should be permanently bolted into place, though.

You’d really have to ask the inspector to explain. It’s not a good idea for us to try to second-guess the judgement of another inspector.

Now that might be interesting!
With the apparent general consensus that home inspectors have no responsibility to the “seller”, responses may make for interesting reading!

I spoke to the inspector and he said when the bases are not encased in concrete and he does not see any break with the slab, he always assumes there are no footings. I got the plans from my municipality which simply stated footings were used. However, I found the still working cell phone number of my builder. I called and he said he uses the reinforced slab method in that he hollows out an extra 12 inches under each column before pouring the concrete. Thus there would be no indication of a footing. He also suggested the same as above - if anyone really doubt’s it again, just drill another anchor hole 6 inches and put in a bolt.

He also stated the township inspects the grounds before pouring and it was all to code. The only thing that has changed is that while back then the columns and the ICC said to install the columns with the thread up or down. In 09 or so, that changed to thread down. The engineer I talked to said it wasn’t a structural issue unless the top plates are bowing and it’s not a code requirement to have them replaced. Simply that new ones go the other way. So I think I am good. The inspector didn’t flag that, but he still told the buyers in person it was wrong.

What a load of stress over nothing. And a lost sale to boot. I guess it is just my opinion, but I really don’t think that inspector should tell people no footings are in without some concrete (pun) evidence like cracking under the columns. I think what the other person said is reasonable - to state you can’t verify footings. But to say they don’t appear to be there and recommend an engineer to correct is a stretch. If I didn’t know anything about this stuff as I do now, I would have canceled immediately as well being told all that.

This apathetic approach can be very costly to all participants in the real estate transaction.

Thank you Steve for the update. As Dave said this can be costly to all as I have seen over the years because of one frivolous statement. Good luck to you and thanks again.

Another case of *** U Me, with an Inspector that does not know what to look for or know the different methods to provide support for lolly columns.

The way they build homes around here the process is, pour the footings, then pour the walls, frame the house, rough in the under slab plumbing, and finally pour the basement slab, so what you will see in the basement are columns coming out of the concrete, you would not see the flange, which does need to be fastened and is not. If they build the same way where you are that might be the reason the inspector is saying there might not be a ‘footer’ He does not know for sure, and maybe should have used different language in his report.