???For Present Inspectors (ALL REPLIES APPRECIATED)

Originally Posted By: Scott Spradlin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

I'm new to the board and am looking forward to learning a lot here.
I have a few questions regarding the home inspection business and would appreciate any feedback.

I am currently a Project Manager and Project Design Engineer. I have ten years of mechanical design experience with heavy duty electro-mechanical equipment. I also have some structural steel background.
I have come to a point in my career where the realization has hit that mechanical engineering is no longer a marketable career. I have been recently considering a career change and much interest in the home inspection business. I am fairly knowledgeable with some home design and technically oriented. During my tenure as a mechanical engineer, I have been subjected to many phases, including electrical design and basic NEC codes and NEMA ratings as well as field equipment installations and basic construction knowledge, but not in the residential of commercial markets. I also inspected my own home during the construction process on a daily basis over a 11 month period and became intimately involved after a bulldozer hit my block foundation causing several cracks and a bow in my basement wall. I wrote technical letters to the builder after hiring a lawyer. I know all this hardly makes me an expert, but every life experience helps to gain more knowledge. I know it takes years of experience to learn this profession, like any other.

I live in Central Ohio and have researched both online courses and a 40- hour course offered at Hondros College. Any other options?

I have the following questions:

1. Are regulatory requirements becomming more strict?
2. What is the best way to get started as an independent inspector?
3. What is the most effective route to get into the field (education)?
4. Would someone with ten years of Mechanical Engineering background be looked at favorably by industry peers?...potential customers?
5. What certifications, memberships are most desirable?
6. What insurance requirements are required?...type, amount of protection, typical cost?
7. What other costs are involved beyond basic inspection tools?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

It’s late so forgive me:

1. No. Pretty easy. Licensing is basically a bare minimum. None in OH.
2. http://www.nachi.org/join.htm
3. http://www.nachi.org/success_tips.htm
4. Not really. Don't worry what your industry peers think. Potential customers only like "certified" home inspectors. "Certified Home Inspector" is the number 1 phrase used in internet searches for home inspectors.
5. None in OH. http://www.nachi.org/insurance.htm
6. Not too much. A few grand at most.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

You asked :I have the following questions:

1. Are regulatory requirements becoming more strict?
2. What is the best way to get started as an independent inspector?
3. What is the most effective route to get into the field (education)?
4. Would someone with ten years of Mechanical Engineering background be looked at favorably by industry peers?...potential customers?
5. What certifications, memberships are most desirable?
6. What insurance requirements are required?...type, amount of protection, typical cost?
7. What other costs are involved beyond basic inspection tools?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First let me say that you need more than 40 hours of education, I would look into the 100+ hour classes, and you will still need more education I think you will find.

1. Yes regulatory requirements are increasing. As Nick said Ohio has none at this time.
2. I would contact a local inspector to see if they would let you ride with them on a couple of inspections. If you then decide you want to get into this profession, get your training, take the NHIE, join a national association and then a local chapter of the association.
3. See # 2
4. Your past is history and will have little bearing on your new profession. You can put all of the titles and alphabet soup behind or in front of your name and it will not make you a better inspector, but it will fool the public. Funny thing about fooling the public, it will only last so long.
5. As for memberships, you need to find what is best for you. Visit local HI meetings, visit other HI forums on the Internet. As for certifications, as soon as you join NACHI you become a Certified Home Inspector, if you notice I am not a member of NACHI but I have passed all requirements and have been invited and offered a free membership.
6. Insurance is not required in your state, but you would be foolish not to have E&O and GL insurance. I use FREA as do the majority of inspectors who have E&O.
7. As for your start up cost I would say that this is one of the reasons that over 50% of the new home inspectors fail during their first year, they have not set enough money aside to live on. I would suggest having a nest egg in the area of $15,000 set aside that you can draw upon as needed. If you do 75 inspections your first year, you will be about average or a little above average.

Start-up cost will range from $5000 to $10,000 depending on your wants and needs plus your nest egg to live on.

I started my company with $20,000, nine years ago.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the insight.

I’m reading a ton of info here.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Scott said it better.

Sleepy Nick

Originally Posted By: kfulton

Plus…

Don’t forget Radon Service Providers classes. They are not cheap. If your state requires a license then you will need to attend a class or do a distance ed course. Still you will need to budget $350-$600. Then you will need advertisement or marketing costs. That will be an eye opener.

Plus, Plus...
You will want to join various trade organizations, Board of Realtors, Chamber of Commerce ect...

Plus more. After you write your first few reports you will find you need space to spread out your reference materials, your desk will not be big enough so you'll add office furniture. Then, office machines like a fax, copier. Maybe add another phone line to your house. Next, you move the kids into the same bedroom because, "you need more space". Then where do you keep your files? So sit back and think over the office end of this business. You are more productive if every thing has a place to go.
![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

--
Kelley Fulton
True North Home Inspections

...things you think about in dark spaces...

Thanks Kelley. I have a nice space for an office in my home. I already have the computer, fax/copier. I just need a new phone line. Those are good points. I would need to consider some filing cabinets or something along those lines to keep organized.

Are most inspectors Radon testing certified? I assume it only makes your business more marketable.

What reference materials does everyone find most useful? Any particular books, manuals, etc.? This site seems to be a great reference tool.

I would love to tag along on some inspections as someone previously mentioned to get some experience.

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

We started without Radon and have have a few people ask for it so we are just starting to offer it. So, basically you can start without it and test the waters and get it later.

John Davidson

Heads Up Home Inspections

Morton, IL

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi Scott,

Many inspectors outsource the radon testing, especially newcomers.
Don't get too overwhelmed with extra services just yet! Just my 2 cents. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect