Foundation masonry wall - no mortared joints

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

14 year old home. No mortar on the joints. Just appear stacked??? no signs of water penetration. Could they be solid mortar on the inside?

Lots of things on this home I’ve never seen before.

![](upload://xbFo0yd2QUB7IFbsKM4zQ8uGxOP.jpeg)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

You need that IR camera to check for grouted cells!

Originally Posted By: jpope

A less expensive method would be to tap on the blocks with the handle of your screwdriver icon_wink.gif You’ve been around construction long enough Kevin, I’m sure you know what hollow blocks sound like.

Was this a basement or just a crawl?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Just a crawlspace but a concrete floor. Didn’t even think about tapping on it. eusa_doh.gif

That said, I've never seen an installation of block with no mortar between the joints before with only filled cells, so I don't know if this is acceptable construction practice for a foundation wall:?: (I have seen it for landscaping)

--

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Without mortar joints the wall would have very low bending resistance (similar to a wall with a large horizontal crack at mid height)

Reinforced grouted cell masonry would be very unlikely for typical residental construction ... and I would seriously doubt it would ever be done without bed or head joints ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I would flag it ... just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Apparently the block is called Michigan Block and is an interlocking block they use in mines. Apparently this block doesn’t need mortared joints and you just waterproof the exterior to keep water out. Homeowner stated that it didn’t work too well and he had seepage in the lower 3 rows so he tuckpointed those. He said that did the trick.

Never heard of this block before.

--

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Besides interlocking block, there are surface bonding systems (yuck!). (But that is not one of them, as there is no surface bonding coating on the visible side. Still … Yuck!)

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Mortarless blocks have been around for 15 years or more, and mostly been field proven as a fairly reliable product.

http://www.masonrymagazine.com/7-04/brickblock.html

Regards, Claude in Windsor Ontario

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Thanks for the link!

The problem lies with the foundation location itself. It is in an area that has many cranberry marshes and the growers are constantly raising and lowering the water levels in the ponds thus affecting groundwater in surrounding areas. These blocks are not meant to be saturated like that, therein lies the problem the current homeowner had of seepage thru the joints. Even with a layer of damproofing, it has to be done perfect or you have problems.

--

Any interlocking or dry set blocks just rely on the weight to remain in place. Not so good for a foundation wall retaining more than a nominal amount of soil, or a wall subject to high wind loads [or earthquake loads … neither of which would be acceptable under high loads]. It would still need to be set in a mortar bed joint or grouted with rebar to have any substantial bending resistance … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Very true Robert…

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Kevin,

Many years ago I drove a concrete mix truck. Frequently I delivered "block fill", a concrete mix that used #12 stone instead of #5 and added more water for easier flow. The contractors made trough-like funnels that set on top of the finished block walls and rebar was inserted vertically in the open tops of the block every couple of feet. It significantly added strength to a conventional block wall.

I don't know anything about a mortarless block system but I can imagine using "block fill" with it and you might have something.

David … good description of what is called “reinforced grouted masonry” construction, which is required in high wind/seismic/design load areas. But I have never seen that with dry set CMU without bed joints in over 20 years of design and construction experience … doesn’t mean it has never been done … icon_wink.gif

One more reason why you can not make an evaluation call just based on a visual non-destructive inspection ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?