Front-Load Washer/Dryer

My clients asked me if the new home they are buying will adequately support the newer front-load washer and dryer combo units. They said the front-loading units weigh up to 100 lbs more than conventional units. It is my understanding that vibration can be felt if the units are not levelled properly. In my experience, walls, floors and ceiling coverings such as sheetrock and floor sheathing that were glued down in addition to being nailed or screwed will cause the interior to be more rigid, thus transfering vibrations to other areas of the home.

Levelling is key. Regarding making a determination if the floor is adquately supported, does anyone have a quick formula or chart to determine how much weight a floor can support in an 18’ square footprint area where 2"x10" floor joists on 16" centers were used? Figure on the units weighing up to 200 lbs each. Thanks.

i don’t have a chart, but i know a guy who weighs 400+, stands on 2 feet (only about 10’’ x 5’’ each for a total 100 sq’'s.) and hasn’t shaken the house loose yet. of couse he can’t move like a washer in a spin cycle either.:mrgreen:

Based on my chart, 2x10’s don’t work with an 18’ span with normal loading.

Curtis
It is not an 18’ span he said an 18 ft sq area. The span may be alot less than that. Span tables say 2x10 can span 14’ without bridging and 16’ with bridging. I would think there would be a support beam down there somewhere in the 14 to 16 ’ range to support the load.
Larry

Minimum load charts are all in the IRC.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In most laundrymats, they are bolted to the floor. I have one that I lifted off the floor, using 4x4’s to make it easier to use. No bolts and it has never moved. Most of these machines will slow the spin cycle if the vibration is too much.

Anatol

I had the front loaders in my house. 2x10 @ 16" oc spanning 13’ 6" with vinyl on 1/4" lauan on 3/4" OSB glued and screwed and they were fine. No excess vibration. The front loading washers use about 1/4 the water and 1/4 the soap as regular units.

Hank,

I recently purchased a Whirlpool Duet Washer / Dryer replacing a Sears Kenmore top loader pair.

http://duet.whirlpool.com/

I have operated an Appliance Service Business performing Warranty Repair for an Appliance Manufacturer many years ago.

There is no substantial weight difference in Laundry Equipment today that requires concern with regard to the structural framing of a home over equipment of years past. Current operating weight with reduced water consumption is substantially less than the weight of the Laundry equipment years ago.

I do not understand where your client’s concern is.

…and the washers spin the clothes so well they dry quickly.

In terms of cleaning and energy conservation, a front loading washer has always been superior.

Speed Queen made a residential designed use front loader many years ago. The Company was ahead of their time back then.

Bosch now makes a Vent less Dryer. Optimal for situations where venting of the equipment can not be accommodated.

http://www.oasisappliance.com/

Yes, they’ve been in Europe for years.