Function of box at side of furnace cabinet

Originally Posted By: dmacy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/5/55605_Cleveland_016_Small.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/5/55605_Cleveland_015_Small.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

It appears to be some sort of a helix operated control switch.

The unconnected wires indicate what ever it was installed for--

ain't.

--
"not just an inspection, but an education"

Originally Posted By: dmacy

Jae

What do you mean by helix?

Dave

My first and immediate impression was that it is a “fan-limit” switch.

I've seen them occassionally mounted externally on plenums.

I think it's some sort of an "Ohio thing."

--

A helix in this case would be a tube-shaped apparatus with a

spiral bi-metal inside that expands or contract in the heat exchanger.

--

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Hey Jae,

How about a transformer for an old drum humidifier. Seems to me I recall seeimg something like that ten or so years ago when I lived and inspected up there in the cold weather. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine,

That's a possibility. It's just that the moment I saw the picture

I thought of something like the old fan-limit switch...and I've

always felt the first impression is usually right.

But what do I know....

--

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

looks like some sort of “aquastate” or other temp. control switch for either a fan or maybe a circulator. if you pop the cover off and you see either one or two dials with a temp. select or a high low limits, then thats what it most likely is. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve Williams

I have seen many of these. Small switches that will not allow the power to the electronic air filter unless there is a flow of air. The last one I saw looked like a small ping pong paddle inside the plenum, but mounted on the outside for the wiring access.

Probably disconnected since the electronics burned out on the filter and were too costly to replace. Mine was $450 just for the electronic module.

Steve ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Ya’know Steve, I forgot about that. And by George, I think

you've got it.

--

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Steve Williams wrote:
Small switches that will not allow the power to the electronic air filter unless there is a flow of air.
Those are called 'sail switches' for obvious reasons.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

Being located in what appears to be the return air duct, I would suggest some sort of sail switch which is or was being used to activate an accessory such as an electrocnic air cleaner, dirty air filter indicator, ect.

Originally Posted By: mthomas2

Sail switch at duct, showing “sail”:

http://www.shed.com/tutor/images/airflow2.gif

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Who cares - report it and suggest further evaluation (and repair if needed) by a licensed HVAC contractor. Then move on.

Originally Posted By: dandersen

And who do you expect to pay that $75 service call?

If we can take a minute here and figure out what this thing is, what its purpose was for, and why it was removed, we may find that it's not necessary and not worth the $75 service call we are imposing.

If you want to be able to raise your inspection prices and make a decent living, saving the client or the homeowner some cash may justify the cost of your services.

What you charge so much?
I got this one last week and the real estate agent cancel the inspection appointment because the house is only a year-old any obviously talked the client out of the home inspection entirely. Good move on his part!

They can have me inspect, or they can have someone else inspect and can call and seven other contractors to do their job and charge additional fees. It all works out in the end, however I usually provide my services for less, seeing I'm already there.

That's another thought. For every ancillary service that you provide, you should charge for it. I had a call the other day from a real estate agent that wants me to fax my insurance information to her and a builder who I have inspected over 50 houses on this year. My lawyer charges me $300 an hour, charges 1/10 of an hour to answer a phone call or read an e-mail, charges for faxing services, postage, copy machine etc.
I paid over $1200 in legal admin work last month alone. If everyone else is doing it, why aren't we?

So, if you want to do $195 inspection and let everyone else make money on your inspection findings you can. Or, you can do a $195 inspection, and your ancillary services and charge $400 which you should have charged in the first place. I was told by a prominent businessman years ago that he felt no one was worth $500 an hour. You have to work for your $500 and in doing so he spent more than an hour to make that $500. You may be able to inspect your house in one hour but there's a lot of background work that goes along with it to justify that $500. If you want to charge $500 you need to be doing your homework.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Maybe some sort of ultraviolet light that kills bacteria? I have seen a few of those here in Michigan.

NACHI MAB!