Fungi Question

Kind of. The SoP require reporting of prior roof repair. Why, I do not know. It establishes a precedent to report any repair that could be argued “consequential” or “If I had know this I would have . . . .”. In this painting scenario IF the paint was in a crawlspace it would be unusual and lead one to suspect a past water or fire event. It would be prudent to report the condition as informational. Identifying it as a defect would be a judgment call.

I know we are talking basements but here is another Texas problem. Attic smoke damage has been historically painted with white or silver paint. Now there are companies spraying silver radiant barrier paint. Now we have no idea what to make of it. Fire or energy efficiency?

I agree with your argument. I spent years working on a defect only Standard and it was defeated by someone who wants to compare homes to new code and report missing drain stops.

As long as these people dictate insane logic all I can say is “If ya want to make the dough ya gotta do the show”.

Here’s my own disclaimer for the “white basement” syndrome. :smiley:

ENTIRE unfinished basement has been painted white. Concrete floor, concrete walls, floor joists, joist hangers, sub-floor, metal duct work, wall studs in closets and even white PVC pipe has been painted white. This is sometimes done to mask moisture damage to materials. Black stains that are similar in appearance with fungal growth were observed in gas appliance utility room drywall, on metal duct work and sub-floor. I strongly recommend a mold test by a qualified mold inspector.

It is imperative that you completely understand that your home inspector has no idea the condition of the materials that have painted over. I cannot inspect what I cannot see. This includes entire basement floor, all interior basement walls, all basement sub-floor areas, all metal duct work and all painted PVC piping.

I like it!