Fungi Question

Attached pics are looking up at sub floor in basement. Yes, I know what it looks likes but it’s an area that’s surrounded by completely dry sub floor with dining room right above it. Tramex reading was only 11 at it’s highest on the darkest stains. No odor after scraping a bit with my finger and it’s as hard to wash off as motor oil. Any ideas? 16 year old home with no signs of moisture intrusion anywhere.

P1010189.JPG

P1010188.JPG

Looks to me like everything on the “ceiling” has been painted to hide something.

Fire, oil, soot, who knows.

Stains from matches being lit close to the area??

when i see any area sprayed like that Erol I always think previous fire/ smoke damage …quite often I’m right…anything else there to make you think this might have been the cause???just my thoughts…jim

I’m beginning to think they are trying to hide more evidence of mold by the fresh paint job. The mold dude is going out tomorrow morning.

What county cell were you in? :mrgreen:

http://www.interactives.co.uk/images/candle-soot-r.jpg

Wood is painted silver or white in homes with smoke damage. Around 2000 mold mitigation began to use anti-microbial paints that in many cases are also white.

I would report

“Woods in crawlspace have been painted for undetermined reason. This is sometimes done for smoke or mold remediation reasons. Some suspect mold or smoke like staining was seen however I am uncertain of the cause or origin. Refer to the seller’s disclosure for possible information and consult an expert to to determine cause and possible subsequent action.”

OR

“Woods in crawlspace have been painted for undetermined reason. Consult an expert to to determine cause and possible subsequent action.”

Cash check

With no odor and no evidence of char or melting, the fire theory doesn’t seem very important. If there was no evidence of excessive moisture levels anywhere near and no moisture source above this area, where’s the evidence of excessivley large mold colonies or any mold problem?

Sorry, Texas mentality. We are required to report some past repairs. Painted wood in an area the client may not see is certainly a past something. It would be prudent to report it in Texas.

NACHI SOP do not require reporting it (after a quick scan) so you would appear to be in compliance if you ignored it. I always report painted wood in an attic or crawlspace. Not saying anyone else has to.

I was in 32C.

But they damn well better in Texas or you may find one of those letters in your mailbox!

Anything that may be suspect (painted or stained) better go in the report even if there is no other evidence of previous fire or the structural integrity being compromised.

It’s a “Texas” thing

To elaborate on “Texas mentality” TREC can, will, and has penalized an inspector for lack of reporting an absent drain stop! :shock:

Realtors control the inspector committee and inspection industry. Managing the inspection industry has nothing to do with random chaos . . . . . it is intentional chaos. TREC has the people in place to continue that . . . and they are.

Let a plaintiff hire the right expert to go after your insurance with the SoP and you’ll look like a puppy getting pushed through a disposer. :shock:

The issues are in the unfinished basement. Everything in the basement is painted a fresh white. Joists, unfinished walls even white over white PVC! On the exterior someone painted over severely rotted window frames. I may tell the client to keep looking. :shock:

Sorry to get off track. We have few basements so I am unsure what customs are common regarding painting in that situation. We have a fair amount of crawlspace homes and they are not painted unless there has been some moisture or smoke problem. I would call out anything unusual or infrequent if not for FYI only. When there is doubt there is no doubt. Report it even if you have to say “I don’t know what it is”.

The mold dude is going to do a test tomorrow. I’m going to join him so I can take a second look at a few things I noticed on some blown up pics. Particularly the seller’s strange desire to paint PVC. :^o

Wow
Thats a odd situation.

Ever get a real bad vibe about an inspection…

The PVC is painted by over spray. The sprayer origination was at the lower left of the photo and it projected to the upper left. The dark staining is the area that was not covered by the spray because the PVC was in the way. The dark area is a clue to what the entire area looked like before it was sprayed.

Going out on the limb. Looks like decay from a condensation event or leakage from above, especially if soils are dry. The PVC is too clean for smoke unless the original melted and was replaced. Let us know.

So in Texas re-painting must be called out as a possible defect?