Furnace gas line and pilot installation

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at? I called out the exposed hole at manifold where meets flex connector from pilot, the contractor who installed it tried telling me it was fine but just from common sense it does not seem correct! First time seeing this myself, been an active inspector for years now and it’s an important new find for me!

Information about the unit would help to know what we are looking at.

That was another thing that was noted in report. Unable to determine manufacturer. This split system appears to have been installed by an independent contractor or sub contractor, so they tend to remove labels.

Did the label inside the unit have any information?

1 Like

Nothing that helped, numbers gone, as you can see the bottom of that label was loose, top was a failed attempt to rip off, not enough for me to go on.

So here’s what I’m questioning. The flex connector going through jacket (improper), then connects to small hard pipe at pilot, which connects to another flex connector at manifold that goes into chamber, but at manifold there is that open hole where you see a nozzle end from that flex gas connector at pilot. Sorry if I am not being clear enough, can’t seem to describe it any other way.

Looks like a high efficiency condensing NG furnace.
You missed the SN-MN.
Sometimes you can make up what you missing on the Compressor.

My only question is to know if other Inspectors have came across this gas line and pilot installation set up? If so, what is it that im looking at exactly, because it’s a first for me.

Without a MN, Model Number you are not going to find results.

Pilot lite: The pilot light is a small open flame that is fed by a steady flow of gas.

Who manufactured the compressor? Any image?

This is the combustible air orifice.

Only in some jurisdictions. IGC allows the connector to go through a motor operated appliance as long as the opening is protected. As far as I am concerned a half inch gas flex going through a 2 inch opening is considered protected. If installed properly there is no way the appliance connector can’t come in contact with the cabinet. This is why in jurisdictions that follow international codes you’ll often see the appliance connector connected directly to the gas valve.

Half-ass installation by an amateur. Whenever you see a flex connector connect directly to the gas valve look for a missing dirt leg :slight_smile:

Like this install :slightly_smiling_face: I see this all the time here however the sediment trap legs are installed prior to appliance connector.

Awesome! This is what I needed. I appreciate you taking the time Martin.

1 Like

Martin, wouldn’t the dirt leg have been installed a tee fitting below that flex connection, instead of the 90?
Just curious.

1 Like

Thanks Richard this helps. Anywhere else I can find more info on this?

No additional information. I just did a Google search of the part in question (101874004) and found this document.

Hahaha wow, guess I have to work on my research skills.

1 Like

Marcel that’s how I would have done it. Some will argue the sediment trap should be installed as closest possible to the fixture. This would still be a sediment trap installed as close as possible to the fixture with an appliance connector off of the tee.

1 Like