Furnace on Bricks

I suggested that they hang them from the rafters as a preferred method. :wink:

Actually, there was no sign of any distress and the installation was done at construction time. They were all pretty old. I tell my clients that I don’t trust tank type water heaters in the attic past 10 years due to the amount of damage a leak can cause. They planned to replace then with a pair of 50s.

You completely failed to recognize the context of the question “Is a horizontal gas furnace allowed to be mounted on bricks in an attic”. The context of the question is abundantly clear. It was not an inquiry as to whether it is OK to support mechanical equipment on the attic floor.

Had you stuck to the context of the question or better yet, kept quiet and let those who have the knowledge answer it, you wouldn’t have dug yourself into so deep a hole. Instead, you chose to launch into all manner of conjecture in a completely irrelevant tangent as evidenced you your own words

You have provided absolutely no help to the OP, because your response was entirely unrelated to the question he asked, just as you will provide no value to your clients if you incorporate similar amounts of conjecture and misguided assumption into your inspection findings. Try not to derail your own train.

WOW that’s a great idea!! That can help prevent roof uplift, especially in hurricane and tornado prone regions. Builders wouldn’t have to use tie down straps every other rafter. That could save some money!! But wait I’ll need to do all of the engineering calculations on every house in these regions to determine if it really is a feasible idea! :wink:

IMO I’m not a fan of WH’s in attics under any circumstance. In all the attic WH installs I’ve seen (almost all gas WH’s) only one had a WAGS valve and pan sensor. A few more had a pan sensor to a really cheap piezo sounder usually in the attic. A lot of good that will do if the leak occurs when nobody is around.

I sometimes wonder if remodeller is another term for flipper.

Someone is replying because their premise was incorrect to begin with (everybody has done that) and it is just a deeper hole. The problem is re-broadcasting crappy information to inspectors that are, like the poster, learning as they go. You are doing a disservice to inspectors, and the community at large. Again, everybody is learning as they go, but it seems some people are starting out climbing mole hills.

Really, all one needs to do is lift up a furnace, and you would have your answer. :roll: Would it deflect a 2x4 bottom chord? Maybe if it was a 20 ’ span? Probably not. Again, here the trusses need to be engineered, and the built in snow load would be higher than the weight of the furnace. Why not check the drywall weight?

Look at the pictures Chuck has so generously provided.

When I was working construction, and I heard someone tell me they were doing construction at 6, or 12, or 9 it did convey immediately who, and what, I was dealing with. A 6, or 12, or 9 year old. And I adjusted the level of their competency downwards.

You say you respect their opinions, but have not been on the MB long enough to have an informed opinion. Perhaps you have been reading the MB for years before joining? However, your answer contradicts your statement and is sufficient to show intent.

Just trying to help.

Yep, pretty much why I ask my passengers to lift their feet off the floor of my car going uphill so we weigh less and lose less speed… :cool: