Help with Inspector defient HVAC installation

Hello,

I am a seller who recently received a inspection report from our buyer. One of the deficient items on the report was that the furnace in the attic was installed improperly supported on blocks inside the secondary drain pan.

I have spoken with the installer and they have ran into this issue before and have indicated that it is a correct installation method. Per there response “Home inspector stated the air handler is improperly supported on blocks inside secondary drain pan. After reviewing the condition, the blocks do not restrict condensate, they add support for the unit which prevents the cabinet from warping and acts as a sound attenuation. The blocks are redwood, no chance of mold or insect infestation. Manufacture recommends supporting unit.”

Will this be enough to “rectify” the inspectors item? I really do not want to go down a he said/she said road of who says this is a correct install.

I would have hoped the inspector noted the make and model number of the unit and checked the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
With that being said, if a licensed HVAC contractor states that is is acceptable and puts it in writing on his letterhead, I would not argue with him and defer to his decision.

4 Likes

Have the installer put it in writing that it’s a proper install and no further action is required. I would think that would satisfy the buyer.

3 Likes

It’s fine. Done all the time. There should be no water in that pan, so don’t go down the road of the redwood blocks.

David Wigger, CMI, Retired, post:2, topic:227256, full:true, username:dwigger"]
I would have hoped the inspector noted the make and model number of the unit and checked the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Please show us where this is covered in a mfg install manual…

With that being said, if a licensed HVAC contractor states that is is acceptable and puts it in writing on his letterhead, I would not argue with him and defer to his decision.

Why is a contractor required to give you anything in writing on a letterhead?
Just because an inspector makes stuff up?

1 Like

Just curious, is it possible the existence of blocks was not the issue, but rather the placement, size etc. of the blocks? It would help if we had the exact defect narrative.

1 Like