Air Handler installed in garage attached to the ceiling

I know, this should be in the WTF thread but I thought this one deserved one on it’s own.
I’ve never have seen this before.
Air handler suspended from the ceiling over an overhead garage door.

7 Likes

Wow, a lot going on there!

4 Likes

First for me in residential. Reminds me of suspended system commonly found in commercial. I am having difficulty finding a problem with it :smile:

(maybe the uninsulated plenum to be picky?)

4 Likes

I wrote it up as improper installation and as a potential path for carbon monoxide to enter the house.

If it were to be sealed up maybe it would be okay, but I’ll let the licensed HVAC Tech make that call. :wink:

3 Likes

We have tons of AHU’s installed in garages, and many of them hang from the ceiling. Had 2 units in today’s garage, suspended, as a matter of fact.

4 Likes

Just because you’ve never seen something before automatically means it’s wrong. I’ve probably seen hundreds of totally complaint forced air gas furnaces hung from garage ceilings. Writing it up as “improper installation” - I hope you have a source to cite when your phone rings.

3 Likes

I am the source when and if the phone rings, and I may be wrong, but I always err on the side of my client. Around here the I have only seen these units installed in a sealed closet in the garage, or suspened in an attic, but not this installation. Like I said, I may be wrong, I’ll let the HVAC Tech make that call.

Even if suspending the unit from the ceiling under an operational overhead garage door was acceptable, which I don’t think it is, the electrical and duct installation was wrong.

Electrical cables were improperly installed going through a firewall and that should be installed in conduit.

Some of the access panels were sealed/plastered/dry wall taped to the ceiling in some areas.

No high profile vehicles allowed, unless you want to chance tearing the ductwork apart.

A pathway for Carbon Monoxide to enter the house was present, not to mention the plenum wasn’t sealed.

Another place the firewall was breached/removed for the ductwork.

4 Likes

And what did you base that upon?

So you have never seen an HVAC unit in a garage? :thinking:

Good job, everyone in the sale should just love this one…

1 Like

CO threat from what electric heat strips.

2 Likes

Vehicle exhaust fumes through the numerous gaps and openings in the firewall between the garage and the home!

5 Likes

Experience.

Clean the crap out of your eyes and go back and re-read the thread where I already addressed your dumb ass question, post 7 to be specific.

What TF business is it of yours what anyone, in any sale, except the one’s you’re involved with, thinks?

If you don’t have anyuthing constructive to add to the conversation, then STFU!!

2 Likes

Do you pay for that call?

Missing filter access cover. That is something to call out!

Another dumb ass comment. :roll_eyes:

So you’d call out a missing filter access cover, but the rest of the installation you think is A-okay? The unit is installed over an overhead garage door directly to the floor joists under the master bedroom.

Is that the quality of work you’re used too? Post 7 again.

Aside from your snide remarks you’re constantly throwing out there, I still always thought you were a professional when HVAC was concerned, you proved me wrong on that point.

I too consider this when I see air handlers in a garage. However it is very common in older homes and it may not make my list. Of course now they put them in sealed closets as you mentioned.

The plot thickened when you added the additional photos. I too would have written all those issues.

4 Likes

I agree. I don’t think using the term “improper installation” only applies to the location, but what “should” have been done for installing in a certain location. Based on Kevin’s pics, the unit appears to be not properly installed in that particular location. That said, I would have no problem using the term " Improper Installation" in my report.

4 Likes

Here in Florida in my area, it’s common in any age home. Granted I’ve not inspected new builds, but I have done a few built in 1992 and one of the most recent was 2019 and all over the place in between. In the garage.

I did some repairs before I was inspecting and this was on some “old Florida” homes and I want to say maybe one block “shack” had it in the kitchen closet, but most were in the garage.

In NJ you never saw an air handler in the garage but I’m sure it exists. Those were usually in the basement.

1 Like

You started this whole thing off reporting an air handler attached to the garage ceiling. That’s the name of this thread. Then you get around to adding a bunch of other stuff which is nothing to do where it is installed at.

You have issues to report but that’s not what this thread was about. You said you called it out because you never saw one hanging from the ceiling and it’s your opinion that it’s wrong.

Then you stated because it’s on the ceiling it is a carbon monoxide issue, not because you saw holes that you posted later, because it’s on the ceiling.

How about listing the facts on the initial post, instead of adding as you go, then calling people names because they had no intention of interrogating you for the rest of the information.

“Air Handler installed in garage attached to the ceiling” is not, and never will be a reportable issue.

1 Like

Roll eyes…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is the ductwork part of the installation and system?
How about the electric wire to energize it?
how about dampers that may or may not be installed between the unit and the floor joists for vibrations?
And you obviously don’t have a problem with it being plastered to the ceiling, do you?
Show me where it’s stated that an air handler can be installed with 4 inches clearance over an operational overhead garage door.
I never stated that because it was installed on the ceiling that it was a carbon monoxide issue, It’s a carbon monoxide issue because the plenum, the air filter housing and the duct system is not sealed and can be a path for carbon monoxide to enter the house.

Would it have made you feel better had I added all that to the title?

I used the word air handler, my bad, I didn’t mean to confuse you by not including all of the parts when I started this thread. I would have thought that what you call “a bunch of other stuff”, all being part of the “air handler system” and installation, that you would have been able to figure that detail out.

Also, with the exception of call you a professional, show me where I called anyone a name. You can’t, because I didn’t.

2 Likes