Garage GFCI outlet protecting baths

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

We did three condos yesterday in the same condo complex. All of them were three-story condos, master bath on third floor, second bath on main floor, and GFCI outlet in garage protecting the outlets in both bathrooms. Other than slight inconvenience if one’s in the master bathroom and the GFCI trips, are we safe and proper?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Russ,

I had a posting similar to this one & as long as they are working properly its ok you will have to check with local inspectors on one issue,if the reset button has to be on the same floor level as the outlets its protecting downstream…certain cities say yes others so no but that is a “code” thing.The house I did the master bath was on the 3rd floor and thats where the reset button was;however,the 1/2 bath downstairs was protected on the line.The couple had one elderly parent(his dad) living with him.He had a walker & if that circuit were to trip,hed have to go up 2 flights of stairs with a walker to reset it.City said it was OK…home owner is writing a letter to to try to make it mandatory to be on the same level…Good luck

Mike

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Russ,

This installation was common years ago. Other than the inconvenience of resetting the GFCI located behind the freezer in the garage, it's OK. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) Of course, today the bathrooms are on circuits separate from the garage.

Mike,
Never heard of the same floor rule; it's not an issue in these parts.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

I have never read a code that would even require the reset to be located in the building. Meaing if you had a detached garage, it would be perfectly acceptable to place the reset there. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I have to agree that I like to see it on the same floor, just for the sake of convenience but its not mandatory.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: tpfleiderer

Russel,

As far as the current National Electrical Code, it states that all circuits going to bathrooms must terminate in the bathroom and can not go out of the bathroom. If the circuit is for the 20 amp receptacle within 30" of the bathroom sink it must be GFCI protected and can be ran to other bathrooms to only power the 20 amp GFCI receptacles. on the other hand if that circuit is used for the 20 amp GFCI receptacle and also powers the lights in that bathroom it can not leave that bathroom. I am not sure when this went into the code book, so this house may have been wired before this code was written. I had one house that the GFCI from the one bathroom protected both bathrooms in the house along with the outside receptacles and the garage receptacles.

This was a total renovation and conversion of a former apartment complex in a less-than-desirable neighborhood. They did a great job of renovation, though. I think that the electrical work here would fall under the current codes since the work was done in 2002-2003.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russel,

Yes, that should have been up to the current N.E.C. But, also should have been found by the electrical code inspector that inspected the job. The code does not say anything about having the reset button on the same floor as the GFCI protected recetacle. Hope this helps

Tim Pfleiderer ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Everywhere I go I hear “the local code inspector should have found it.” Our local code inspectors are out on the golf courses or at the beaches. What. You want them to inspect buildings?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Russel,

isn’t it nice to see your tax dollars at work (or should it be play) icon_lol.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Tim,

Can you give us the reference from the NEC codes for that answer?

Thanks,

Joe Myers

Joe,

In the 2002 NEC it would be 210.11(C)(3). which state:(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).

Tim Pfleiderer ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)