Garage stairs are too big

Hello Gentlemen,
We have a new build we inspected and in the garage there is a very large stairway that leads up to the occupant door. (5 risers) My clients averaged sized sedan will not fit inside the garage with the stairway taking up too much space. The builder is being difficult to work with so I was posting in hopes that you clever inspectors may know of a rule this stairway could be breaking. The obvious answer is to turn the stairway 90 degrees so it runs along the wall but the builder doesn’t want to fix it. Any ideas to help support our client?
Thanks!

It is a design issue, contact the lawyer to see what is in the contract. You, as a home inspector, have no power to force the builder to do anything. Good luck!

1 Like

Contact the local Building Dept. / AHJ for local regulations… and possible enforcement!

The only thing that motivates most contractors is making money or losing money. The person paying for the house is the only one that has the power of persuasion, i.e checkbook.

2 Likes

Bingo…

1 Like

Hopefully the is a “minimum floor area for a parking bay” in the local code.

Also, a review of the design plan might be helpful.

1 Like

Thus my recommendation for the Bldg. Dept.
They have all approved plans, change orders, etc. on file.
They should solve this with a quick site visit with or w/out the builder present.

1 Like

It takes 36’’ to run parallel to the garage wall. Maybe the builder didn’t use commonsense.
images (17)

5 Likes

A lot of that is missing in the world today.

5 Likes