Gas appliance connector used as piping

It looks like a pretty nice install to me. I would have recommended support on that pipe coming out of the furnace gas valve that runs along the concrete. That’s a lot of weight for the gas valve to hold up.

4 Likes

I will get back to you, sir. Oh, G2414.10.4 in 2009 IRC says "1.Fittings use with steel or wrought-iron pipe shall be steel, brass, bronze, malleable iron, ductile iron or cast iron."p.551. - So the steel nipple is ok? even though not galvanized? seems like it would rust, cold rolled steel. Says steel shall conform to ASME standards …, but nothing about cold rolled steel vs. galvanized steel in IRC 2009.

My Class book from 2007 states on Fuel Gas Piping, “Most gas piping seen will be galvanized steel or black iron (cast iron fittings are not allowed, malleable iron only), although yellow brass is approved.”

still looking drip leg. Cannot find anything on the drip leg sizing.??? still looking. 6:25pm.CST.

2012 IRC Code Book, p.572, G2414 Piping Materials, G2414.2, “Steel. Steel and wrought-rion pipe shall be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply with one of the following: 1.ASME B 36.10, 10M,etc…” …“G24.14.5 Metallic tubing. Seamless copper, aluminum alloy or steel tubing shall be permitted to be used with gases not corrosive to such material.” So, I am not sure, but that Cold Rolled Steel Nipple in the image above is Schedule 40. I am not sure it is Schedule 40 and it seems it would be corrosive as in rust with any water or liquid drips (i.e. condensate) in the LP GAS???, you can go to Home Depot and find out in the plumbing Nipples section. It was in an open Box cardboard on the shelf, like $3 or $4…or in plastic wrap…but not hanging up, in a box. But there is no Information on the plastic wrap about 2 years ago, before Covid. Just a UPC code and size.

No info. on length of drip leg so far.

Drips and Sediment Traps are on p. 578, of the 2012 IRC Code Book. G2419 section. Here it is, G2419.4 (408.4), Sediment Trap " …The sediment trap shall be either a tee fiiting having a capped nipple of ANY LENGTH INSTALLED…" SO, AS OF 2012, YEAR ANY LENGTH IS ALLOWED ON SEDIMENT TRAP. 2012 IRC CODE BOOK, NOT 2021 OR THE LAST REVISION, SO YOU CAN CHECK THOSE. IRC HAS A FREE ACCESS TO ITS CURRENT CODE BOOK ACCORDING TO InterNACHI.org.

OH, and watch out, because there is more than one type of Galvanization processes…there is hot dipped galvanized like nails and then there is, I think, electrogalvanized…? which is cleaner looking, but does not last as long. That nipple may be electrogalvanized? Its hard to tell from the image…and you just picked my brain, ha ha…ouch…

ok, i see you have the drip to any length from 2018, but what about the last 4 years? It seems like I heard it in a live person class or webinar, but I have been to so many, it would be impossible to pinpoint and my books prior to 2012 do not contain any designation on length of the drip. I would not worry about it,its doing its job. And, hey, the nipple is not leaking currently. Did you test for gas leakage?

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the unsupported horizontal pipe…

3 Likes

Just stop :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, I am not sure what all the rambling on is about. But, I felt like I covered it with this post. If you have newer or more relevant information that updates my information I sincerely would like to be corrected so I do not mislead my clients.

3 Likes

The problem is the reference from the 2007 class or the 2012 IRC. This is irrelevant. Only the UPC will reference the length of the sediment trap to be other than any length. Time to move on.

2 Likes

I like where this is headed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Shouldn’t that be min size of dirt trap… … …

2 Likes

Appears you have succeeded. Lol

1 Like