Gas appliance connector used as piping

I don’t think this allowed, but can’t find what i need to back it up.

What’s your concern, and which connector are you referring to??

The yellow gas connector (Not CSST) as pictured.
I am under the impression that the connector is to be used as an appliance connection ONLY and NOT as supply piping

The appliance connector cannot pass through the metal furnace cabinet, so it is connecting the appliances hard pipe to the house supply pipe.


IMO, that is how it is being used. Personally, I would have preferred it along the side of the unit and not in front of it, but that’s a personal preference. Other than that minor thing, I have no issue with it.

Now, tell us about that UPPER connector??

That is CSST


Which is incorrectly installed!
Also curious what appliance it serves.


Enlighten me


O, No, is it missing a drip leg? or whatever you want to call it.


Correct. but why not continue with hard pipe? I know time is $$$$

That is that Steel Threaded Nipple Pipe from Home Depot looks like. I bought it when I could not find anything else for my water line, which is illegal to use on water line, it will rust, right? Just Cold Rolled Steel. But your situation is gas, not water.

Sediment foot. LOL.

I do not think they are required for stoves, cooktops or fireplaces :wink:


That’s not where it would be installed if it were required.

That is very similar to reheating of the gas line pipe on Coleman Stoves. I still think that is strange but it works for Coleman Stoves, heating the gas output lines…Seems dangerous to me? Its like you are putting direct flame heat on the fuel source line…how much heat can the source line take? I have such a stove. Here is the image, see the fuel line is going over the flame from the fuel tank only inches away! And you have to constantly clean the black soot of the fuel line, and I assume it will fail and develop a hole in that single fuel line eventually? And boom, you have fireworks.

The drip leg is there. It is in the back of the picture, black iron, I think?

I think that Cold Rolled Steel Nipple 1" or 2" should be galvanized steel instead or black iron. So, I would agree with you that at the connection of the CSST to the Black Iron or Iron that short nipple should be galvanized thick steel, or a black iron nipple which they have at HD. They will thread it for you if not already threaded. Recommend a licensed Plumber in your report or ask one. I would like to know. It may be ok as is?

1 Like

Yeah, I was trying to rile the gang up with the drip leg.


Can you reference that?

1 Like

Get in there Brian I was staying out of this one with all that cold rolled steel garbage and galvanized steel thickness stuff :roll_eyes:

Best I can tell is Kentucky follows the IRC so there is no set length on the sediment trap but they may have an amendment I don’t know.

I’m not sure about KY, but 2018 IFGC