Gas fired domestic water heaters

Originally Posted By: cbottger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Question??

Had a gas fired water heater producing 120 degree water and cycling on the control. The most remote outlet in this 2600 sq ft home had a water temp of 90 degrees and was a bathroom with single delta faucet control for the shower/tub combo. The kitchen sink was the closest outlet to the water heater and it also had a temp of 90 degrees. The water heater also had a circulating line connected to the drain valve. What was the problem here????

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

How do you KNOW it was producing 120 degree water if both your closest and furtherest measurements showed 90 degrees.

If it's just because the thermostat setting on the water heater "said" 120 degrees, I'd venture that the thermostat isn't accurate.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Perhaps I did not present all of the info.

There was a bathroom between the most remote outlet and the kitchen sink. The water temp as measured with two different thermometers calibrated to 32 degrees indicated 120 degree water in the middle bathroom 90 degree in the most remote bathroom and the kitchen sink.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Charley

Is there a swing check valve on the circulation loop. Maybe the circulation should be located on the cold side of the tank instead of the drain.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

yes there is a swing check installed on the circulating line brand spanking new.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

What is a “swing check valve”?

Jerry Peck

South Florida

It’s a valve that only allows water to flow one way. The is a hinged flapper inside the valve that will open with pressure, but will not let water back out the pipe. Something like a “RPZ” valve.

John Savino

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: jpeck

A “swing” check valve, versus a spring loaded check valve or a moving seal check valve (don’t know if it has a ‘real’ name, but like a piston or seal which sealed when push to one end and does not seal when pushed the other way)?

I've probably seen them, just never heard the terminology before. How can you tell what type of check valve it is? Special marking, etc.?

A swing check valve would be a single action check valve, then, right?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

go to; www.nibco.com

John Savino

St. James, NY

google search- “swing check valve”

John Savino

St. James, NY

Charley

Is it possible, (now this may sound stupid) That the plumber branched off the main hot water feed and installed tempering valves somewhere?
Just a thought!

--
John Savino
St. James, NY

Here’s another stab in the dark;

The circulator controller maybe the wrong type. It should turn the circulator on with decrease in temp. (or)

The circ. controller may be set to high.

Just some more thoughts. eusa_wall.gif

John Savino

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Here’s a thought…recommend a plumber come and check it out.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

John S.

The question I had asked about the temp difference in the hot water system was kind of a leading question as it was a problem on an inspection about 3 months ago that caused me to change the way I was checking hot water systems. The report that I use has no area to document temperature. That has all changed because of the problem with that particular home and I had never ran into this before and apparently a bunch of plumbers had not also because it required two companies and 4 plumbers to find why the temp difference.

Have you ever seen a single knob shower faucet act as a mixing valve apparently the valve body inside deteriated and was mixing hot and cold water. This was determined by a plumbing company not me

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

I’ve had more problems with Moen then Delta. I installed a single lever Detla faucet at the kitchen sink about 8 or 9 years ago, I just replaced the O rings and seats because of leakage not because of by-pass.

But I have never had a shower body become that deteriorated. Leak-yes

By-pass-no.

John Savino

St. James, NY

John:

I had never seen one by-pass or mix either. I was focused on the hot water tank and specifically the control as was the plumbers when they arrived. They disconnected the water supply checked the dip tube and went thru the normal checks but came up scratching their heads as was I.

It took an old master plumber to think this one out. Sorry John I did not intend to drag this out but was just checking out your longevity.

Have a good one.
Charley B.

--