Gas oven on countertop GFCI

From what I have read a gas oven with electronic ignite is allowed on countertop GFCI. When the GFCI was tripped the gas came out but no strike to light it. Seems dangerous to me. Is it one of those “yes it’s allowed but bad idea” type situations. How would you write it?

Although that receptacle is permitted on the SABC serving the countertop it is not required to be GFCI protected. Personally I would not connect it to the load side of a GFCI but the code is silent on the issue.

So bascially the code says it’s ok but it’s not a good idea.

A good idea is subjective and wildly open to opinion. For some the added protection provided by the GFCI for the stove isn’t a bad thing. IMO it’s not necessary.

It’s unreasonable to recommend a re-wire based on your opinion in this case. The house meets current code requirements. Many gas ranges have a lock out feature the prevents use by children. Range knobs are supposed to be child safe. If they aren’t, call that out instead.

Allowed by whom? Call the fire marshal and explain the situation. He probably will tell you that he would not allow such an installation.

Which code are you refering to? I will not get into building code debates but I think your local fire marshal or building inspection division would tell you that the installation is in violation multilple codes, including the National Fuel Gas Code. Which codes your local officials choose to adopt or enforce is another matter altogether.

So what codes does it violate? Not the NEC. In fact if the stove were in a location that required GFCI protection for the receptacle then it must be GFCI protected.

I thought that if there was no flame the gas shut itself off. If this is true what would a GFCI have to do with it?

This help?

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/gas_range_ignition_systems.shtml:)

That’s right. Unburned gas should not flow into the room. The GFCI has nothing to do with the problem.

How do manual ignition gas logs or water heaters work?

Once upon a time you had to light your gas stove with a match.

If you have a gas stove you should get into the routine of making sure it lights almost immediately or turn the gas valve off.

Not true, it can be a singlr yolk Dedicated outlet instead of GFCI…:wink:

Jim

That may have been true years ago but the NEC eliminated those exceptions a few code cycles ago.

I can unplug my gas cooktop and the gas still flows normally. Even in a power failure all you need is a match.

The attached picture is from a fire investigation I did a few years ago. There were no National Electrical Code violations. Would you care to guess how many fatalities there were?

In my job, I really don’t care what “the code” says. I know dangerous when I see it.

Manual systems use a valve that must be held open until a pilot flame has been established. Gas will flow as long as there is a pilot flame or until the sensor fails to detect the flame. There are several different types of sensors used in residential equipment. If a flame sensor fails to detect a flame, the gas supply is interrupted.

And residential gas ranges have knobs that must be pushed in and turned until the flame is ignited.

Define “normally”.

Some here should go to work for the Consumer Products Safety Commission or the International Codes Council since they have better ideas.