Gas meter location.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This past weekend, I inspected a place where the gas meter was in the garage. Normally, no big deal. But, this meter was in a narrow garage about half way back with no protection brackets or barriers. This could easily be hit by someone backing in with a pick-up truck. Has anyone seen this before? I still have the photo, but not here with me now.

Any thoughts?

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: jremas

The garage gas meter is a new one for me. This past Saturday, I did a home that had the gas meter, main shutoff TO the meter and the regulator all in the basement. The meter itself was 12" from the main electrical panel and the regulator was 2" from the panel. They were both shoved in one of the front corners of the basement. Thoughts???

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Very common in this area to have the gas meter within a couple of feet of the main panel. I see meters in garages all the time. They are typically mounted pretty high. I dont call it out as a defect. I point out that there is potential for physical damage… Usually, they ask me what I would do. I tell them I’d probably have the meter relocated to the outside of the home. Sometimes this winds up in the front, where it is ugly, so they don’t want to do it. As to the co-location issue in the basement, if that’s the way it is, then that’s the way it is. In these parts, the gas inspections are performed by the local utility company, not the building inspector. If the utility employee sees something they do not like, they can shut your service off instantaneously. They can also refuse to turn the gas on at inspection. If they okayed the meter where it was, there is little you can do about it.

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

I would contact the local gas company. I have been involved in sub-contracts which paid us to move the meters to the exterior which I believe is now the national standard.

Morgan Audetat
Badger Home Inspection

Originally Posted By: jremas

Thanks for the info Morgan

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Morgan,

What's the reference? I've heard the same about metrs need to be outside, but the only thing I have ever come up with is the local utility standard.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

I knew you were going to ask that.

Give me a minute.... icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dsunday

Ed,

Generally the meter would be outside for easy access by the gas supply company. Years ago they were putting them in the garage here in Upstate New York area. However, the regulator can be inside only if the relief valve (vent) is piped to the building exterior and led away approx. five feet from any building entrance. In the case of Propane, the vent must also be away from building access below the vent.

Gas regulators occasionally develop leaks in the diaphragm and vent directly out. The problem with extending the vent is that wasps build nests inside the piping and the vent no longer functions causing improper gas pressure.

Dennis J Sunday

Home Inspection Systems

www.Homeinspectionsystems.com

Brewster, NY 10509

(845) 279-1578