Gas piping into furnace

Originally Posted By: swalch
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can flex piping be used to connect the furnace to the gas pipe. I thought it had to be solid piping, but I see it all the time and hear contractors say it is OK.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

It should be a yellow wrapped flex that goes to the shutoff/drip leg (black pipe into furnace).

1 Like

It should be a yellow wrapped flex that goes to the shutoff/dirt leg (black pipe into furnace).

Originally Posted By: swalch

Mostly what I see is solid piping all the way from the main gas line in the house. Then if they don’t keep it solid the flex pipe is usually about a foot long and goes into the furnace. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: jpope

swalch wrote:
Can flex piping be used to connect the furnace to the gas pipe. I thought it had to be solid piping, but I see it all the time and hear contractors say it is OK.

I'll assume for a moment that you are referring to the appliance connector (a short length of flexible steel tubing connecting the gas piping to the furnace/appliance).

This is allowed in most jurisdictions and recommended by most manufacturers. The flex line should not pass through the appliance cabinet. In some cases, the manufacturer allows it to pass through if protected with a grommet, but the rule of thumb is that it should not pass through the cabinet.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Casey Garrett

I use Flex pipe every time to connect to the furnace, it is alot easier then trying to hard pipe it.

Casey Garrett wrote:
I use Flex pipe every time to connect to the furnace, it is alot easier then trying to hard pipe it.

You can not straight flex to the appliance. Are you licensed?

Originally Posted By: whandley

Flexible gas connectors may not pass through building or appliance wall.

IRC 2421.1.2 and UPC 1212x2 icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: dandersen

The use of flexible fittings is a good idea to cut down on vibration caused leaks. It is also desirable or required and seismic areas.