Appliance connectors

Photo taken from crawl space. Anyone see anything wrong? Piping is feeding the gas logs.

012910 083.JPG

012910 083.JPG

Other than flex lines are not to pass through floor levels, no its cool.:slight_smile:

Is the gas line laying across the cooper pipe?

Flex connectors for gas fireplaces are usually allowed to pass through floors or walls. I had a similar situation last year and found the code for it somewhere, but can’t find it now. I’ll look again in the morning.

I have never heard of that. Walls yes floors no. I would be interested in knowing.

This is from instructions for the common Dormont piping:

1. DO NOT install the gas connector so that it is concealed within or runs through any wall,floor or other partition. The gas outlet must be in the same room as the appliance. This is so it is visible for periodic inspection.

How long is the connector? Where is the shut off?

It was probably 6 feet long. The shutoff was beneath the firebox of the manufactured fireplace.

Here’s what I said:

“A gas appliance connector passes through a floor; a practice which the manufacturer prohibits. The manufacturers of these devices state: “Do not conceal connector or run connector through enclosed outdoor BBQ pits, walls, partitions, floors or appliance panels.” Service by a licensed plumbing or HVAC contractor is recommended.”

That quote came from a connector I picked up at Lowes a long time ago and documented the warning.

Anyone think this is OK?

011410 124.JPG

M2202.3 of the IRC 2006 allows it when rigid connections are impractical and to reduce jarring and vibration. labeled in accordance with UL 539.
From the picture I don’t see anything impractical as to why a rigid line coudn’t be installed the only other thing not seen is the absence of a dripleg.
Another question is were the line passes through the wall, should it be sleeved or insulated

Nothing in the standard you mention allows an appliance connector to ever penetrate an HVAC cabinet, floor, wall, etc. because the manufacturers specifically prohibit that practice.

“M2202.3 Flexible connectors. Flexible metal hose used
where rigid connections are impractical or to reduce the effect
of jarring and vibration shall be listed and labeled in accordance
with UL 536 and shall be installed in compliance with its
label and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Connectors
made from combustible materials shall not be used inside
of buildings or above ground outside of buildings.”

Looks like it. I didn’t catch that. Aren’t those connectors stainless? Would that present a corrosion problem???

Technically it would but the amount depends on the environment. You already said it was an improper installation so it is a moot point as far as the report goes.

I’ll be shocked if you find a code that says it’s OK to violate the manufacturers’ installation instructions, which prohibit that practice.

I wasn’t refurring to the hvac cabinet, by the time I got my first post off you asked another question. I need to type faster :mrgreen:

It SHOULDN’T pass through a wall or floor.

No one mentioned lack of a drip leg in the first one.
No shutoff either.

Why is the flex coming off a regulator in the second one?

Bob, I mentioned somewhere that the shutoff was beneath the fireplace, in the family room, where it ought to be.

Regarding drip legs, the gas companies around here do not require it on residential.

Yeah saw the shutoff comment after ,but is there a individual shutoff for that branch before the flex?

I think that is required .

That is not csst and the flex may need to be changed.