Gas shut off valve

In an older home, built in late 40’s early 50’s where were the shut off valves located for furnaces or hot water heaters? was it just the main inside by meter?
do you know what year that they had to be installed with in 6 feet of the appliance?
there was a property that was renovated, not fully with plumbing and electric update, older hot water heater, newer furnace,
when do you call code? I know with the new expansion tanks, but this shut off valve is now blocked over with drywall PER THE OWNER, which I know he can make accessible but didn’t, or can they just use the main shut off.

We do not site code.

I doubt the furnace and HWH are original so grandfathering and age of subject do not matter.

Shutoffs should be within reach.

I don’t believe that natural gas was around in the 40-50’s But the units shoud still have a shut off on the units and the main should have one in case the gas needs to be shut off from out side.
You should never quote a code. Just say that by todays standards this should be further evaluated and corrected as needed by a licensed contractor for safety.

1 Like

LOL. Large industrial cities were using Natural Gas in the late 1800’s. They had natural gas refrigerators and other appliances back in the early 30’s.

My father installed gas appliances in the 1953 home he built. There were individual gas valves installed for each appliance.

haha
The 100 year old places sometimes used the old gas pipes for running that new fangled electric wire to replace the gas lights.

I didn’t call code and never use that word!! I just used it here, cause that is what I am hearing that word over and over by the plumber, (how did I pass this house when that is not up to code!) the TPR valve was leaking and he told buyer that he had to replace the whole unit…and he can’t locate the shut off valve, it was up in the ceiling area…

To answer your original question… yes they can use the main gas shut-off valve to service the system (if needed) but a point of use shut-off valve should be installed, visible, and readily accessible for reasons of safety, service, and convenience. If the appliance shut-off is NOT installed, visible, and readily accessible, it should be called out for repair regardless of code and/or when it was installed.

Now on the point of replacing an entire water heater due to a leaky TPRV is well… slightly excessive unless there are multiple other issues with the unit and cost effectiveness warrants replacement.

Thanks William, and I don’t quite understand that at all, the TPR valve was leaking on the unit slightly, and the unit was a 2004, so the plumber (a good friend of the owner…)told the owner he must replace the unit (which would cost 1,000. to do!!!), he went out bought the unit, then the plumber couldn’t find the shut off, which should of been installed by the unit but it was on a shared line which was under drywall (not visible) so he called me saying, how did I pass this house. I always come back with I don’t fail or pass a house, the buyer does in an AS IS house, I report on the condition that I see and it is up to them to buy or not to buy. All in all I had someone go back out for me and they explained HOW TO CHANGE/REPAIR a leaky TPR valve…and the contractor who installed the “newer furnace” is now goin to have to put the shut off on or show the signed off permit from the city…
now of course he is picking everything apart on me…gotta love it