Gas vent on roof?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

OK, Other than the rusting…heres the questions:

1. Height without a brace?

2. Vent collar at 10" from the roof surface?

![](upload://btBlqfG8DZnjEroKvHBbsoCkoM8.jpeg)

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Is it possible that the pipe was pushed up from underneath? That would explain the collar with the requisite black tar being 10" higher than the roof!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Not sure of the reason that the vent flashing is so far above it’s original spot, however your report seems simple…vent pipe is improperly flashed where it exits the roof. Recommend the vent be refitted by a HVAC tech, and proper flashing installed by a professional roofer. I don’t think 37" of extension needs bracing.

Also shouldn’t a B-Vent be used from the first point it would penetrate a floor thru to the roof?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Harvey,

I agree with the other comments, I don't get the "flashing" in that location, and it does not appear to be flashed adequately at the roof covering, the height is only barely correct (should be minimum 36 inches above roof), and I would not consider that it needs bracing in a no snow area.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Depending on the roof slope, that only needs to be 12" high and up. That one probably only needs to be 12" high, measured on the high side.

The Roof Flashing is missing.

The storm collar is your flashing you are point to, that goes around the B vent at the top of the Roof Flashing (which is missing).

As to the height, there is no specified maximum unbraced height, except that the longest piece of B vent them make is (I believe) 5' long, and having a joint above the roof is not good for strength (although it is allowed for height extension).

Down here (where you and I are, that is going to blow off during the first high wind storm (never mind a real hurricane), right at that joint under the storm collar, where the B vent sections change color).

Like these from last week.

[ Image: Type B Gas Vent with joint at storm collar ]

[ Image: yes, it's this loose at the joint ]

Dura-Vent Installation Instructions

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida