Gas water heater help

tryed to find it online for you at another inspection forum. The one comment was that the first number was the month and the last two were the year.

That was a pretty good course, I took it as well.

Hey!
You making fun of us lololol

Not at all…I have relatives in Cookeville. :mrgreen:

Oh Cookeville now that another story lolol I was teasing . Well you see some wild and wooly things here :wink:

This is the way the IRC has read since 2003 when the FVIR requirement went into effect for WH manufacturers …

Has the 2009 been adopted by NY? We are way behind then.:frowning:

James,

Both references I have indicate that State Water Heaters use:

1st letter = month, A=Jan, M=Dec, etc., letter I is not used
2nd and 3rd digits = year

Any chance the 5 was a B or…?

NY adopted some of the 2009 IRC, with the balance based on the 2006 IRC. But the FVIR exception has been around longer than that. Here is how that section read in 2003 …

Robert:

I hope you are not using that on your inspections.:shock:
We have been warned more than once about stating codes. I was making you aware of the mistake you made in using 2009 code that has not been adopted yet. We have the same problem here. I am using the 1996 OBC and it mentions nothing on FVIR.
Until the manufactures say it is safer to install them on the floor and the InterNachi association adopts the practice of using codes in a report, I will stick with telling people it is safer to be elevated in the garage above 18 inches and protection when needed.
Even the 2006 IRC and 2006 IMC agree.

1/ You are not a code enforcement agent.

2/ The source of ignition is not below 18" from the floor. It’s at the top of the water heater or outdoors.
So no matter how it is written, it is not required.

I do not reference codes in my reports and never use the word “violation” … nor do I recommend that to my students. I simply use model codes as a reference for what is considered acceptable and safe, as every home inspector does … :wink:

Thats not a mistake, as I always use the latest available model codes as a guide as to what is considered safe. I am well aware of what the local code requirements are as a former AHJ. But I really don’t care what code has been adopted, because I am not bound by that wearing my home inspectors hat … and neither are you.

Incorrect. The 2006 IRC and 2006 IFGC both have the exception that do not require elevating FVIR type gas WH’s in a garage. The IMC does not apply to gas fired appliances, and refers you to the IFGC (see IMC 301.3).

You are free to recommend whatever you want to your clients for improved safety … in fact it’s better to have all fuel burning equipment located inside a fire rated mechanical room. But thats just not a reasonable recommendation for an existing house … and the model codes and manufacturing standards have recognized that FVIR type WH’s do not need to be elevated since 2003.

My IRC 2006 says

P2801.7

Water heaters having an ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition is not less than 18 inches(457mm) above the garage floor.

My IMC 2006 says

Under installation says about the same thing.

Gas code CSA 149-1-05 Says

In a storage garage an appliance shall be installed so that the component capable of igniting a flammable vapour is located not less than 18 inches(450mm) above the floor.

There is no mention of FVIR.
I also never say it is required to be off the floor only the AHJ can say that.

I need to stress that I never mention code also in my report or to my clients.:shock:

When conflict exists it says you need to go with the more stringent requirements not the manufacture of the product.

That is a general requirement not specific to gas WH’s (e.g. applies to oil fired WH’s). For gas WH’s see 2006 IRC G2408.2 Elevation of Ignition Source … which has the gas FVIR exception.

The IMC doesn’t apply to houses. But see 2006 IMC 301.3 which states it also doesn’t apply to gas appliances/equipment, and refers you to the IFGC. The 2006 IFGC reads …

I don’t have that CSA you referenced, but it’s likely either outdated or has the FVIR exception somewhere else.

Bottom line is FVIR type gas WH’s do NOT need to be elevated in a garage.

Four one and two family dwellings only.:smiley:

No … the IFGC applies to multi-family and commercial buildings, and does NOT require FVIR type gas WH’s to be elevated (again see IFGC 305.3, also referenced in IMC 301.3)

FVIR type WH’s do not need to be elevated in a garage for ANY construction under ICC model codes since 2003.

I do not care what you think!
I only care what is safe.
I will not install or recommend installing a FVIR hot water tank or any gas or oil appliance in a garage even if it was protected in solid steel 1/4 inch plate box with bollards in front.
I would still tell my clients that people installing them on the floor are out of there xxxxx mind until both the manufacture and code of my town agree it is safe to do so and InterNachi says it is safe.
So what is you point.

**[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=1]use gasoline or other flammable
vapors and liquids in the vicinity of this or any other
appliance. Storage of or use of gasoline or other
flammable vapors or liquids in the vicinity of this or
any other appliance can result in serious injury or
death.
Read and follow water heater warnings and
instructions

May not be a good idea to install in a garage:shock:

**[/size][/FONT]

I really dont care what you think either. But your code references and interpretation of the NACHI SOP are consistantly wrong, and dont support you position. You are free to tell them to put the WH on the roof for all I care.

I think it would be wise on your part to remove your last statement.:shock:

Internachi does say it’s safe in this course:

**[NACHI.TV](http://www.nachi.tv/)**

**                         Inspecting Water Heater Tanks            **

10.2 Located in Garages

A hot water tank with an open source of ignition should be elevated not less than 18 inches
(457 mm) above the floor of a garage.

There is an exception for appliances that are listed as
flammable vapor ignition resistant (FVIR).

and here:

If the tank is in compliance with the FVIR standards, it does not have to be raised 18 inches in garages or similar locations, unless required by the manufacturer or local code authorities.