Generator transfer switch bonding

Whole home Gas generator was installed with an automatic transfer switch. Wondering about bonding requirements for this panel.
The original service panel had the bonding strap removed, and a new four wire feed from the transfer, but It does not appear that the neutrals are bonded at the new transfer panel.
The meter feeds the transfer panel first, (making it the new service panel), and then goes to the distribution panel and generator from there.
However, the transfer panel does not have a physical main disconnect, other than the auto switch.

So, since there is no disconnect breaker, does this now qualify as the service panel? In which case the neutrals should be bonded, but it does not look like they are. Pretty sure I know the answer, just wanted to make sure before recommending the bonding at the transfer panel.
(service conductors enter from the back of the panel at the right, the left hole goes out to generator)
Thanks

1 Like

Interesting, and good question.

What does your outlet tester say (or a wiggy if you got one)? Clue.

It does not appear that the neutrals are bonded at the transfer panel. Perhaps that is as it should be - see diagram below. Could the main disconnect, neutral bond, and GEC be at the meter location?

That would be wrong.

This is not a service rated transfer switch, was there not another disconnect outside?

1 Like

everything in the home was grounded, but that’s because the original service panel did have the 4 wire feed from the transfer panel.
The EGC is bonded at the transfer panel, but the neutrals dont appear to be, which is my concern

No disconnect outside. The GEC is at the meter, but the only manual disconnect is still at the original service panel in the garage.

Thanks, no, there was not.
So the neutrals and grounds at the distribution panel should still be bonded I assume? Or is this a whole mess if it is not to be fed directly from the meter?

They hacked it up, it needs to be corrected, forget the bonding. Tried to save few bucks by not using a proper transfer switch. At this point I would not prescribe any methods to correct it, let an electrician figure it out.

2 Likes

Website says they come in service entrance models
RDT ATS - 200-amp | Small Business Transfer Switches | KOHLER (kohlerpower.com)

They do [the cost is higher] and your pic of the switch is not it.

1 Like

Thanks Simon!

You need to review what your three light tester is telling you. The presence of a ground is determined by a light between the “hot” and ground. This won’t light if the ground and neutral aren’t bonded somewhere. With a wiggy and an open panel just tag a breaker and the ground bus.

I agree. According to the model number they did not use the correct transfer switch since it is not service entrance rated. There should be an SE after letter A in the model number.

5 Likes

I didnt try that. But perhaps they are bonded at the generator, since they are not at the transfer, or at the distribution.
There are two EGCs in the transfer box, one going to the distribution panel, and the other going to the generator.
(I know that would be incorrect, but it would explain the tester results)

I generally disclaim those systems and call for further evaluation. Same with solar panels. Too many ways to screw it up.

5 Likes

Yeah, I do too. I wasnt even going to open the transfer box until I saw that the service panel was fed with new feeders, and the bonding strap was removed.

They are not “EGCs” if they are not connecting the bonding location to the grounding electrode, or am I incorrect in that definition? I am thinking the easiest solution (not that we are recommending the solution) is to locate the grounding electrode(s), make sure the bonding there is correct and, if needed, to install a main disconnect between the meter and the transfer switch. Replacing the transfer switch with a different model that integrates the main disconnect is certainly how it should have been done in the first place, but it will be a huge expense for somebody at this point.

Technically it would be bonding the grounding conductors to the service neutral.
But that’s basically my concern, because the neutral wasn’t bonded to the service panel

A few observations:

1. No visible bonding screw in the EGC bus in the panel
  2. Non-service rated transfer switch with no visible neutral bonding
  3. No visible GEC
  4. Duct seal used to close unused opening in panel (bottom left)
  5. PVC raceways unsupported
  6. ATS lacks an OCPD which allows service conductors in the PVC raceway within the structure without the required protection nearest the entry of the SE’s into the structure
5 Likes