Getting started

Originally Posted By: Melanie Gibbs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in becoming a real estate inspector. I reside in SW Michigan and I'm not entirely sure about where to get started. From what I've read here, I believe going through some college courses would be best, in order to gain the most knowledge.

I have very little experience. I did go to school to become a certified real estate appraiser. Unfortunately, I needed to get some hours in and I couldn't find anyone in my area that was willing to take on an apprentice. I am hoping that it won't be the same with this.

Is this business as competitive as the appraisal biz? I would hate to go through all this schooling, only to find out later that I can't break into this business. It is so frustrating...not to mention, expensive.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Very competitive. I’m of the opinion that if you don’t have a construction type background, this may not be the best vocation. Lots of things to know that aren’t found in any course, and only life experience has taught.

I have 20 years of construction, and college (construction there too) and am struggling very much in my first 6 months so far business wise, let alone see things I’ve never seen before! I figure it will take at least three years to really break thru to where I need to be to live comfortably. Right now, it’s an extreme struggle to keep the lights on. Good luck in your endevours.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Ditto what Keven said icon_cool.gif

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Ditto Kevin, not very rosey outlook. nachi_sarcasm.gif

But, I love what I do !

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

The folks have pretty much said it Melanie.

Heres some ideas for research.

Check your local phone book and those of surrounding cities and look under Home inspector, inspector etc..

Then do a search on the web in search engines and check a few of them as not all inspectors are in the phone book.

Check different sites and have city names and zip codes that you want to check ready.

I know that advertising by some of the schools looks really appealing by saying things like " You don't need any experience" but that's how their marketing works.

I've been doing construction/inspection for over 25 years and have just recently started my business as a home inspector and for myself I don't believe I would try this or any other career with out having experience as all it takes is one mistake and the wrong type of customer and you can loose everything in a hurry.

I'm not trying to defray you but I am trying to be as honest as I can about being an inspector. But this really applies to anything you decide to do in life.

Another big thing to consider is do you enjoy this type of work? If not I would certainly reconsider my options.

But if everything points you to this career then by all means give it a whirl.
Your on the right track by starting research and by contacting folks.

And remember, the question/s you DON"T ask, are the least smartest.

Best of luck Melanie and were always's here for support.

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

jsmith10 wrote:
The folks have pretty much said it Kevin.

Best of luck Kevin and were always's here for support.

Huh? Wrong Person... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Kevin,

So you're saying you don't need our support? I see how you are! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

Sorry Melanie.

I fixed it.

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Melanie Gibbs

Those are the answers I was looking for…it is unfortunate, but I’m glad that I know all of this before I get really involved. Thanks again for all your responses, they were very helpful.

Originally Posted By: mpasquinelli

Melanie - Don’t let a few negative responses persuade you. After three years in business I can’t keep up with demand. You don’t need a construction background. You need to be competent, ready to learn, ready to work hard and most importantly be professional. In my opinion, many home inspectors not only bring their construction background but their construction appearance and attitude which does not always meet the professioanl demands of the real estate industry. Don’t take all your clues from HI’s. Look at the industry you serve and make your company as, or more professional and you will stand out.

Martin

Originally Posted By: Don

I see ads on TV and in trade magaizines all the time for home inspector trainig. Must be a good job and very easy money. Sounds like there are a few areeas that need a bunch of inspectors. I heard lots of guys are swamped with bizness. Lookout NY state hear I come.

Yep Don. Very easy money. I have spent and spent and spent.

Oh wait, you meant MAKING money? Hmmm....may be awhile before I can update you on that. This whole easy money thing seems to be really hard work! ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Melanie,

You can start out part time. It’s nice to have steady pay in the middle of winter where we live. Many believe in all or nothing. I prefer the easy does it approach. It’s all up to you. icon_wink.gif

Erol

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Don wrote:
Must be a good job and very easy money.

It is a good job because most people in this business love what they do. Easy money? Not a chance. There is no such thing as easy money.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

Don wrote:
I see ads on TV and in trade magaizines all the time for home inspector trainig. Must be a good job and very easy money. Sounds like there are a few areeas that need a bunch of inspectors. I heard lots of guys are swamped with bizness. Lookout NY state hear I come.

Don, NYS has some new laws that actually set a standard for competence. The money isn't easy, the liabilities are high, the work is demanding and technical. We also require that inspectors be able to spell, or at the very least be able to use a spell checker.

The other thing Don, has it ever occurred to you that the easy money is getting suckers like you, who think there's such a thing as a get rich rich quick scheme, to plunk down their money for training? Hey, there's an idea Don, open a Home Inspector training school..that's where the money is.

Folks, Don's statement above is just down right scary and it's even more scary that probably within a week of writing that comment, Don can pass the NACHI test, send a check for 289.00 and use the word "certified" on his advertising.

He's certified alright, but forum rules preclude me from saying his particular area of expertise.

Chad,

I respect your knowledge.

But until you've joined, any comments you have on the organization or it's members mean nothing.

As the saying goes. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way".

And right now, you are nothing but in the way.

Jeff,

I'm a lousy communicator. That post wasn't meant to knock NACHI in particular, but rather as a commentary on the perception of our profession.

Until realistic standards are set for proficiency, this profession will be viewed as a get rich quick scheme. Don said it best..easy money. It's kind of how auto technicians are viewed as well, they couldn't do well in traditional subjects in school so they were sent to auto shop as though the field didn't include math skills, electronics, hydraulics, etc. If someone can't read, write or think analytically, they sure as heck can't diagnose and repair cars. BUT the perception of the field is much lower than the actual standards.

Right now that's how home inspection is being perceived and until we as a whole begin to acknowledge that we have a responsibility to promote excellence and take a stand it will continue to be a problem. If we aren't willing to separate the wheat from the chaff.. the bread'll be no good. From the comments Don made it appears as though he's chaff.

Mike O'Handley who is a very smart guy signs all of his posts One Team, One Fight. It's a good rule to live by.

Originally Posted By: mbartels

I went to a 5 day “fast track” school and came out knowing everything I needed to know and a lot more. All I did was bring a realtor some candy and now I am pulling in $400 per inspection. I’m also doing 5 inspections a day! The only tools required are a screwdriver and a mag light! icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

PH LEASE!

I have to agree with Chad on this one. How do we expect to command higher fees and a more professional opinion with all these jack asses around?

Go get em Don

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

My apologies if I seemed abrupt.

Got a builder arguing with me about a report I did last weekend and it's got me a bit fired up!

nah, you weren’t abrupt.

Farsetta has calloused my entire body.