GFCI under sink

Today, I called an electrician about a receptacle under a sink. I was under the impression that all receptacles within 6’ of a plumbing fixture should be GFCI protected.

He stated in our area that is not a common practice under the sink to put in a GFCI receptacle because people normally don’t stick their hands under there. Also, because of it’s location it may nuisance trip.

This didn’t sound right to me.

Any thoughts?

GFCI under sink.JPG

The requirement for GFCI protected Dishwasher outlets is only in recent years.

You will find this chart helpful. Compiled by Jerry Peck adn update in May of 2015

http://jerrypeck.com/IFCN/Other%20Items/_GFCI_requirement_page-2014.pdf

Pay attention to the foot notes.

Thank you for the information!

Did you get the part about GFCI protection is only required on the receptacles servicing the counter top in the kitchen? The receptacle for the garbage disposal (under the sink), does not to be GFCI protected. Most jurisdictions have not implemented the 2014 NEC yet, so you have some time on the DW, if new construction.

Since we are not performing code enforcement inspections, whether the code has been adopted by the particular municipality is irrelevant. The “current” standard of safety, as of 2014 if you refer to the NEC as your authoritative source, is that the outlets under the sink should be GFCI protected. As such, I document them as not meeting the most current standards when they are not GFCI and AFCI protected, so that my client can make an informed decision as to how important that is to them.

It does as of 2014

It should not trip based on location. In fact, the 2014 codes requires gfi protection.

Thank you all for your comments on this post.

Bingo!

According to current building standards, we recommend yada yada yada.

Current standards here do not reference the 2014 Code cycle. Most jurisdictions are not on it yet.

I don’t let lazy politicians, taking their time to incorporate new standards into state law, affect my recommendations. :wink:

You obviously waited for the 2014 NEC so we know your you do indeed wait. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope. Read my post again.

Most of Kansas City’s 80+/- townships use the 2002 NEC.

A half dozen have upgraded to the 2011 NEC.

We would not want one there personally and don’t recommend them there.

Mark it up , CYA clients do not stick their hands under there . What do you normally see under a sink.

Care to share why you would not want or recommend the gfi protection ? Do you you not recommend the gfi protection for countertop or other areas when it is not installed ? If so why the difference ?

I want to see where it is a requirement to upgrade a house to existing standards.

The 2014 code has nothing to do with my house the way it is.

I don’t see where anyone made such a claim in this thread.

Also, keep in mind that AHJ requirements for building standards may differ from licensing requirements for trades. In our area, many AHJs have not yet adopted the 2014 NEC, however the state agency that licenses electricians has adopted it for any work started after September 1, 2014. Work started after that date and performed by a Texas state licensed electrician must conform to the 2014 NEC, whether the AHJ requires it or not.