GFCI under Kitchen Sink????

Should the outlet under the kitchen sink be a GFCI? From what I understand all outlets within 6’ of water should be GFCI protected.

It is not required by code as the outlet does not serve the counter top.

What about the outlets in the laundry room do they need to be GFCI?

Only the outlets within 6 feet of the sink (if equipped).

If they supply the washer, they do not need to be GFCI’ed.

No, but could someone fire the Carpenter that butchered that cabinet around that outlet. :):mrgreen:

If they did that, then 85% of the Carpenters wouldn’t be working.

This is a typical mess for a kitchen cabinet.

:mrgreen::mrgreen: You got a point there David.:slight_smile:

Remember now…if the washer receptacle is within 6’ of the edge of the sink. It would indeed require the receptacle to be GFCI protected. Nothing in the NEC would allow the washer receptacle IF in that 6’ area to not be GFCI protected.

Even a dedicated cicuit?

Good point…

Paul, can you elaborate on what that means?:slight_smile:

He’s stating that if the washer is plugged into an outlet and this outlet is within 6 feet of a sink, it should be GFCI’ed

I don’t really make a big deal out of this situation.

Most dishwashers I see share the same receptacle under the counter cabinet with the pig, that is what is confusing, it is within 6’ of the sink.:???::slight_smile:

Ya, but a homeowner would more likely plug into an outlet behind a washer (at a convenient stomach height) verses an outlet located in a lower cabinet where they have to crawl into to get access to the concealed outlet.

Yes…makes no difference.

Sure…remember now we are talking about two different things here. The 6’ requirement is from the edge of the sink. That is a utility sink, wet bar sink and Laundry sink…not a kitchen sink !!!

GFCI is required when serving the countertop receptacles in a kitchen BUT the 6’ requirement only comes into play on in regards to the location of the receptacles as it relates to Wet Bars, Laundry Sinks and Utility Sinks so it is easy to confuse the two requirements.

Just remember that also once your state is enforcing the 2008 NEC, any sink in non-dwelling buildings will have the 6’ requirement as well…just figured I would remind all those commercial inspectors out there.

What about the inside cabinet under the basin issue as it just seems to make common sense that should be considered a wet location area.?

I know not required (nor do I call it out but if the other side of the island wall has GFCI than why not that?

Because it is unlikely to be used as a convenience outlet or for small appliances

What makes the area under the sink a wet location? From where I stand it looks dry under there…lol…Well firstly because the code says receptacles serving the countertops must be GFCI protected…no one …wait no NORMAL person is going to use that receptacle under the sink to serve the countertop and code would not allow it anyway.

It’s all in the codes my friend…all in the codes…:mrgreen:

Paul,

I recently ran into an upscale home that had custom kitchen cabinetry with built in spring loaded shelving that brought a large food mixer up to counter level. It was pre-wired inside the cabinet so the unit was always plugged in. The shelving brought the unit up to even with counter level about 4 feet away from the kitchen sink.

It was not GFCI protected but I recommended it due to final positioning of the cabinet / appliance when in use. What say you?