GFIC on Sump Pump in basement?

What is the current rule on GFIC for sump pump in basement, for basement bathroom?

Also what is the rule on sump pumps for bathrooms? Seems like one of the internachi courses said it was a no go, what do ya say?

Sump pump or bathroom sewer ejector pump? Either way if the pump is installed in a location that requires GFCI protection for 120 volt receptacles then it must be GFCI protected. If you don’t like the GFCI idea then use a 240 volt pump.

The current rule? GFCI protection is required. But what is it that you’re inspecting? Was it built at a time before the 2008 NEC was in use by your JHA? Before that it was not required for a simplex receptacle if it occupies a dedicated space. After that you’ll need to install a 240 volt sump pump to not use a GFCI receptacle.

We are not code enforcers, we are inspectors. If I see a sump plugged into a simplex that is clearly marked as a “non-GFCI dedicated receptacle”, I don’t call it out as a safety issue.

Of coarse we are not code enforcers, but if it is unsafe in a jurisdiction applying the 2008 NEC, does that make it safe in a jurisdiction using 2005 NEC or just ignoring the parts they don’t lke?

If you are aware of a defect that is a personal saftey issue, in my opinion, you should bring it to your customers attention, provide your reference and let the customer-seller-agents-AHJ fight it out. I would not want the widow’s attorney asking me why I did not advise them of a potential safety hazard that I was or should have been aware of.

And that is exactly why most home inspectors inspect for safety concerns, not code.

Whenever someone questions this thinking, I simply ask…
“Are GFCI’s generally a good idea?”
I always get a ‘yes’ response.
Then I ask… “Would a home built prior to the invention of GFCI’s benefit from installing GFCI’s today?”
Again, always a ‘yes’ response.
Suddenly the lights turn on and they ‘get it’.

A recommendation to improve safety is fine as long as it’s written in a way that no one will interpret it as being required by code.

Are you saying that a GFCI isn’t required for a 240v outlet in a wet location?
If so! Why not?

GFCI protection is not required in only in wet locations but in garages, basements and other dry or damp locations as well. For a dwelling 240 volt receptacles do not require GFCI protection in the locations that do require GFCI protection for 120 volt receptacles.

Yeppers.