Good graphics are always helpful

here’s a really good cross section of an eave assembly.

7 Likes

From GreenbuildingAdvisor.com:

It’s sheathing, not “sheeting”

Before we compare different sheathing materials, we need to clear up a common misconception. Plywood and OSB are examples of sheathing, not “sheeting.” The word comes from the verb “to sheathe,” which means to encase something in a protective covering (as a dagger is protected by a leather sheath).

Builders who talk about “sheeting” apparently assume that the word is derived from the word “sheet” (as in, “a sheet of plywood”). These builders are wrong.
Wall Sheathing Options - GreenBuildingAdvisor).

I have beome a fan of synthetic underlayment such as palisade. Felt is ok, but better options exist now. Perhaps “underlayment” would be a better label than Felt, since felt is one of many options here.

Eaves Drip. Around here we call it a drip edge, but I suppose there could be alternate terminology.

13 Likes

Gotta say that I just glanced at the illustration and completely missed this glaring mistake.

Thanks Bert! i updated and corrected.

5 Likes

A lot of construction terms appear to be regional. You know tomato, tomatto.

2 Likes

Very good illustration. Thanks Mark. Kind of you to share. I always got tong tied on the Frieze board.

2 Likes

Also, wonder why the underlayment isn’t as important as the other Guys? :thinking:

1 Like

Well, I made some modifications too.

4 Likes

nothing wrong with a collaboration

2 Likes

How do you/I make modifications, Lon?

One way is to import the graphic into Canva. Then use tools inside Canva to make edits.

https://www.canva.com/

2 Likes

Or Adobe Illustrator, provided you have a PHD to figure out all of the “updates” and new features. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

@ruecker is our resident Yoda of Canva. You should see his tape measure leave behinds…cool stuff

3 Likes

Thanks Mark! I have dabbled in Canva quite a bit. If anyone needs assistance, let me know!

2 Likes

I have seen them. :+1:

3 Likes

I just imported the graphic into Paint and then erased a little and added my bit to it.

2 Likes

I’ll check out Canva.

1 Like

Can I use this graphic, please? Thx

1 Like

thats why we share them.

2 Likes

I would love to bolster my reports with some diagram pictures of the attic space or off grade/pier and beam diagrams. Would anyone be willing to post and share some more great diagram pics of any system diagrams?