Green Lining to Recession's Dark Clouds

Green lining to recession’s dark clouds

Governments are spending to stimulate economies — and business should take advantage of incentives to go green…

…It even includes $5 billion for household weatherization. This means a boost for companies providing this - the U.S. Department of Energy has a goal to retrofit 10 million homes in the next 20 years.

But, this doesn’t just go for smart businesses — it goes for smart individuals. In order to weatherize those 10 million homes, the Department of Energy estimates they will need 1.25 million workers.

The job potential is comparable to that of Silicon Valley. Today, a specialized green degree will put new graduates in demand. Green stimulus is already addressing this — the U.S. Department of Commerce recently gave Hocking College a $1.6 million grant to build a learning facility for their sustainable energy programs.

It’s an interesting turn - green used to be focused on saving. Companies like Xerox already capitalized on this by switching to energy-saving bulbs and recycled paper. In doing so they saved 1.5 billions tons of waste and $2 billion dollars.

But saving isn’t enough anymore.

“The smarter companies will capitalize while the slower ones may not make it,” says Willard. “That’s life in the jungle of the corporations.”

That’s where the green light at the end of the tunnel becomes clear. Making this happen will be no easy feat - but it’s something your business will thank you for. Otherwise, you could get left in the dark.

John, this is exactly why I’m changing my company to focus primarily on performance contracting.

I am offering energy audits with infrared for all of my clients who hire me for energy home improvements.

All of my jobs will now have before and after audits that will scientifically prove the work that was completed was done right. Most contractors in my area don’t even have web sites yet, never mind doing certified energy audits with thermal imaging.

The next few months should be very interesting to say the least.

It’s a little early, but I am going let the cat out of the bag…

We are going to start a FREE 4 hour “Energy Audit & Weatherization”
class once a month. It will based on a 12 point energy audit standard
and will be a good place to ask questions and kick around new ideas
about marketing. It will be perfect for those who already use the
infrared camera and want to know what to expect as they expand
their business into the Energy Audit market, like you are doing.

The webinar class will be live and free to everyone.

More info to follow…

Peter,

When you say “certified energy audits” who or what organization certifies them? I am a RESNET Certified energy rater but as far as I know RESNET has not yet completed their existing home energy audit program. Is that true? I do energy audits but I do not know how to get them “certified”. I tried Home Tune-up but I thought the report was more fluff and useful info. By the way I agree that using an IR camera produces a much better energy audit for the client.

InterNACHI is developing a course for the new professional designation
they have filed… called “Certified Master Energy Auditor”.

Our 4 hour FREE class for “energy audits & weatherization” will be a
good starting point for those who want to learn about this field.
By doing this class once a month, it will provide a live forum for
discussing new issues as this market expands.

I am totally convinced that the energy saving market is going to
explode and be an area of great profit for those who can adapt for it.

What a stupid idea Obama is putting into place huh John?

The new move in government to weatherize buildings does make
economic sense. It will pay for itself easily.

I really don’t care who gets the credit for the idea.

Of course not when it directly, financially benefits you.

If a good idea can help me feed my family, then I am thankful for the
chance to earn a living. I hope you provide for your family as well.
Best wishes.

It’ll be interesting to see all these energy auditors reaping the financial benefits of this new lucrative industry and then coming to the “not for everyone” section and bashing Obama’s policies. Kinda like you’ve done until you see the dollar signs.

Saving energy is not restricted to democrats or republicans. Both sides
campaigned on this idea.

If Obama does something good, I am willing to tip my hat. Please
don’t hijack this thread into a chance to bash me.

You can email directly or phone me if you need to get something off
your chest.

john@infrared-certified.com
936-546-2435

I see no need for government to pay for this.

People should be free to make their own determination as to whether it pays to upgrade a building.

Unless people intent to stay in their homes a long time some of these upgrades “savings” will never be seen.

Now is that darn AIR QERV would have been legit we could all be calibrating.:shock:

Regardless if some people feel it is right or wrong, the weatherization of
buildings does create a new emerging market for home inspectors
who want to move into doing energy audits and help in the weatherization
process.

If it bothers some people’s conscience, then they might need to abstain.
I have no problem with those who feel that way.

Too late. I’m done though.

John,

I’m not knocking the attempt to capitalize on this in anyway. Sorry.

I have been trying to figure out a way to take advantage of our new economic system and this is just one possibility.

Good luck to all. I may be joining you.

John, that sound great. Count on me.

I guess I should have said I’m certified to do them… Sorry

BPI Certified Building Analyst
ITC Certified Building Science Thermographer

John,

I think energy audits can be a good thing if done by a trained and honest technician. If you do a thorough visual inspection, use an IR camera, use a good energy audit program and make valuable recommendations to the client an energy audit can benefit the homeowner. Audits done by window and insulation salesman with products to sell are in many instances less than beneficial. For example, to replace all your windows to “save” on energy costs is a bad buy.

I do believe, however, that many home inspectors could use some formal training in the energy field before begining audits. Areas such as modern building principles, a review of high school physics and air conditioner sizing would be helpful. I still see HVAC contractors oversizing the units by a large amount. Although not required blower doors and duct blasters do have a place when required. I recently did an audit (2400 sq ft house in south Texas) where the avaerage summer electric bill is 500 at .075 a Kw/hr. All I could find with the visual inspection and the IR camera was a very small area where the insulation was misaligned and a supply duct to a room built into the garage… I could not easily get to much of the attic where the ducts are. The duct blaster revealed a large leak in the ducts and we found after some searching a disconnected supply duct. I guarantee the cost of the audit will be recovered this summer.

You are definitely in a good position.

Clever man John, good for you and thank you for the free webinars. :mrgreen: