Ground Rod tied to Neutral Bus

Sorry if this is a repeat - I searched the forum and couldn’t find my answer.

New construction in Texas - The green insulated wire (tied to ground rod) is terminated next to the panel neutral instead of directly to the ground bus bar. Its connected electrically to the ground bar through the panel bonding screw, but it feels incorrect somehow.

IS THIS ALLOWED? NOT ALLOWED?
GRAY AREA? BAD IDEA BUT LEGAL?

Allowed by whom? Where are you located? You would need to contact your local inspection authority for an answer.

I would allow it but my opinion doesn’t count.

1 Like

I don’t see a problem there. The green wire is bonded to the grounded (neutral) bus bar anyway, it appears, and there are two termination points. One for each wire. :smile:

1 Like

Where do the other two bonding jumpers go?

I don’t know why this replied to you George. was supposed to reply to OP

Good point gwells - I went back and added TEXAS to the original post.

I’m performing a home inspection to the Texas standard looking for “the absence of or deficiencies in the grounding electrode system”.
Not a code inspection, I just want to know if its a dangerous condition.

1 Like

Maybe. There are questions that need to be answered.

This panel ‘feels’ like a sub to me. Is there a disconnect outside?
Is this a manufactured home?
There are no 220 V loads?
There appears to be a lack of grounded conductors.
As asked before - where do the two bare wires on the grounding bar go?

1 Like

The GEC(s) is/are required to land on the neutral bus and not the EGC bus when the main bonding jumper is a screw.

3 Likes

Thank you, Rob. That is good to know. I appreciate your comment. :smile:

1 Like

I see your new girlfriend just can’t stay away from you… … … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Sorry for the curse.

1 Like

feel like I’m being stalked.

where did the two large bare copper conductors above the red circle in 2nd pic go?

2 Likes

That’s how we all feel as you keep showing up on our forum posting your ridiculous opinions everywhere.

3 Likes

I noticed you voted. :smiley:
Vote now & add to no one wants the presence of fatty the monopoly man

You’re welcome, here’s the NEC reference for anyone who’s interested. 250.24(A)(1) generally states that the GEC connection can be made at any point up to where the neutral conductor terminates. The EGC bus in the photo is after that point so the GEC cannot land there unless it meets 250.24(A)(4). Since there is a green screw as the main bonding jumper the GEC terminating on the EGC bus does not meet the requirements of 250.24(A)(4) so it cannot terminate there.

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.
(4) Main Bonding Jumper as Wire or Busbar. Where the main bonding jumper specified in 250.28 is a wire or busbar and is installed from the grounded conductor terminal bar or bus to the equipment grounding terminal bar or bus in the service equipment, the grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment grounding terminal, bar, or bus to which the main bonding jumper is connected.

2 Likes

It does seem strange that they’ve isolated the grounds and neutrals yet left the main bonding jumper in place. Was there a meter/main at the exterior, subpanel on the interior? If so, this installation is incorrect.

In that case, I’d say it is OK. The terminals are part of ground bus assembly. They are being used as they are intended to be used. It is a continuous bus and the connection was made at the nearest point.

That square d panel is designed that way. That is a new plug on neutral load center. Google it and you will see all of the new features that these have.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the responses!! :+1: :+1:
I found one big issue - I incorrectly remembered the ground rod wire being stranded. Digging through my photos I find that it is one of those 2 solid copper conductors!!! (the other one goes to the gas meter bonding)
Soooo my original question is moot.

Here is a full photo, should have posted that first.

No. It still doesn’t feel right. It appears that you may have paralleled conductors (N-G).

The 4 wires HHNG go outside to a meter? Nothing in between them?

1 Like

Since this is a service a GEC cannot land on the EGC bus where a green screw is used for the main bonding jumper. Also the GEC to a ground rod can be solid or stranded.