Ground Terminal

Originally Posted By: psisler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Good morning all,

A quick question. Which way should the ground terminal on a receptacle be oriented, UP or Down? Or does it matter? Thanks.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: tallen

Does not matter. Although I have heard of some AHJ who would say otherwise.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: bgriffin

The outlets I see that are upside down are used to indicate which outlet is the one controlled by the wall switch.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Patrick,

While I believe the plug should be oriented in the position so the ground is on the bottom of the receptacle, in certain cases they should be placed on the top, such as with metal cover plates, so if the plate falls off it will hit the grounding prong first without seriously electrocuting anyone.

I don't think there technically is an up side down to a receptacle, just a preference on the part of the installer. If you take notice, when you walk into commercial installations you will see that many of those installations are up side down, with the grounding prong at the top.

When you see them up side down in a home, that means the guy that installed them has also worked in commercial installations.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Patrick

Do a search on Mike Holt. This is asked all the time.

No code requirement either way.

My point has always been the the manufactures show the 'ground' up. And most text book do also.

If I had to be 'pressed' I would say up.

PS I install them down because that is what homeowners are use to, and to match all the others.

You will also see, if you do a search, which way if the are installed on their side.

Again no requirement. I would have the hot down.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ok, when then why do the cord manufacturers place the ground on the angled plugs on the bottom? You will notice that the cord would look pretty funny sticking up in the air. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

If the ground is up, the cords with the 90 degree molded plugs on my refrigerator, microwave and washing machine would travel up the wall several inches until gravity took over. I think this would cause the plug to become at least partially unplugged. That can’t be good.

![](upload://tTkqL921EbSEhACbxeeKoWo0p3F.jpeg)

I know it looks like a 20 yr old cord but it is the only pic I have.

--
Jim Mosier

Thanks for all of your input gents. Appreciate it.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: roconnor

This receptacle should solve the old “ground-down” or “ground-up” debate … icon_lol.gif

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: psabados

Now that’s slick! 15 or 20 amp rating? And does it have a special box to attach to? Slap a GFCI on it and its perfect. aiwebs_026.gif

Paul

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Paul: 20A receptacles have a horizontal line in addition to the vertical line on the nuetral slot (left if the ground is down).

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Good one Robert.

Patrick