Screwed!!

Why would someone do this? First time I have seen this done!!

84606 Eastlake 036 (Small).jpg

I’m gonna say “He’s cornered the market on adapters.”

Am I right?

Here if you replace a 2 prong ungrounded receptacle with a modern 3 prong grounded receptacle but leave the old wiring and don’t make provisions to ground the receptacle you are required to plug the ground hole. The reason is so that someone doesn’t plug in an appliance assuming its grounded when it isn’t. I have only ever seen them use a hot glue gun or caulking. Never seen any one put a screw in it.

Tell Client Outlet Is Up Side Down And More Important May Cause Shorting Or A Fire Due To Screws Into The Ground And You Have No Idea As To Which Wires Or Screws Are Touching

Electrician Needed

BTW, Whats holding the plate on?

Good one Joe. :smiley:

Maybe Junior did it? The work of a five year old Blaine Wiley in training?:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m gonna say “Surface tension.”

Am I right?

I can agree the screws in the grounding hole is a problem but “upside down”…not so fast. This was and is still an acceptable way to install a receptacle. Makes it hard as hell to read most modern testers but that is another story.

Upside Down
Yes In Most Installs
Except Where Indication Of A Protected Or Dedicated Circuit Exists

Sorry Steven they can be mounted like this or side ways to .
I do like them the other way .
There was a very large discusion on this recently .
Roy Cooke

iI KNOW USUALLY THE DEDICATED CIRCUITS ARE ORANGE OUTLETS

AND MANY PEOPLE INSTALL WHAtEVER WAY THEY WANT

I JUST LOOKS WRONG TO ME GROUND UP

OH WELL

Steve, I hope you were wearing some professional looking clothes when you made that statement. :stuck_out_tongue:

good post

thanks i guess you know me now

dont tell anyone i was wearing my florida shorts
i have nice legs you know

In my area, newer construction units, the upside down receptacles indicate a switched outlet.

I still find homes with every wall receptacle installed this way. Just did one two days ago like that. Home was built in1962. As it was explained to me many moons ago by a retired electrician, if installed this way in the event a plug was slightly pulled out of the outlet and something fell across the blades of the plug it would in theory not fall across the hot and neutral but rather rest on top the grounding prong. You still find homes with metal cover plates. I too have seen switched outlets configured this way but have seen just as many or more that were installed just the opposite. It is a personal decision by the installer or the company they worked for. For the sake of the original question, electrically it makes no difference. The electrons are not going to spill out onto the floor because the outlet is installed “upside down”.

wow!

Ahhh…I dont see many “Dedicated” receptacles in Orange in Residential dwellings…Hospitals maybe…:mrgreen: but not houses…

I have seen face plates with sticky backing so you don’t have to look at the “ugly” screws.

yea i have seen orange outlets in homes with a lot of computer equiptment and structured wiring

but a whole lot in residential normally.

Ah, so you just see the ugly hole where the screw is supposed to go :roll: