Grounding a Main Panel

Originally Posted By: dleavitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Could one of you fine electrician type folks give me some advise please.

My question is I inspected a home the other day and seen that the main panel ( 200amp) did not have a ground. I did not see any ground at all all coming into the pane expect for the ground from the main feed. It was built in the late 30’s but has a new service and most of the wiring is romex.

I just need to confirm that I am not missing anything.

Thanks

David icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David,

I am not an electrician by trade but I can tell you that every main panel that you inspect must consist of a ground wire. Maybe the ground wire you are seeking is attached to grounding rods at the outside meter.
If I cannot locate a grounding wire on the main panel, I'll go back outside to double check for grounding rods. If I do not see signs of grounding wires coming from the meter, I'll include that in my report and advise my client that the grounding of the main panel is not visable and recommend that this be evaluated by an electrician ASAP.
Every main feed needs some sort of grounding wire, no matter what circumstances you may run into.

Dennis Bozek is the electrician you are seeking for great advice on all electrical issues.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jmyers

David L.

I really doubt that an electrician installed a new panel and forgot about the ground wire and ground rod. However, the other Dave have given you some good advice. Note in the report that the wire and rod were not visible and recommend evaluation by an electrician.

Some panels are crowded and difficult to get a visual on the ground wire. In most cases it is there, just not visible without moving some wires.

If you take a good look at the buss bars and start tracing the wires back, the ground wire will be the only single wire running out of the panel, the rest will lead into romex with the hot and neutral. Happy hunting! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Look at when it was built.

Explain the importance of grounding/bonding.

MP

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

David,

Was this in fact the MAIN panel. Was there possibly a disconnect out by the meter. If you seen a ground wire coming in with the feeders for that 200 amp panel, then it is possible, and likely, that the 200 amp panel was a subpanel and that the actual main panel or first means of disconnection for the service equipment was located elsewehere. If this is the case, then the grounding should take place at that first means of disconnection, to include a ground wire back to where the water enters the house, within 5 feet and a ground rod. The Equipment Grounding conductor would then be routed to the subpanel which in this case is probably the 200 amp panel. It would be bonded to the enclosure of the 200 amp panel and the neutral for the same panel would not be bonded by the means of a green bonding screw as in the main panel. All neutral wires would then goto the neutral bus and all ground wires would goto the ground bus. This is my best "assumption" on the information you have given me and should not be construde as "gospel". Good luck.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Mike Parks,

Welcome to NACHI. I have seen and read your posts on other boards and I am aware of your level of experience and knowledge. I think we would all appreciate it if you would use that experience to contribute, communicate, help, and to educate those of us on this board as you do on the other boards. That would be in comparison to the belittling approach you have taken in your posts, to date, on this board.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

dleavitt wrote:
I did not see any ground at all all coming into the pane expect for the ground from the main feed.

David, I'm not an electrician or a spooky Gifmeister either but it is not clear what you mean by your statement above. I am not aware of any electrical service provider that supplies a ground. Perhaps I have interpreted your message incorrectly.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

icon_eek.gif Gee I interpreted what Dave L wrote as there was a ground wire coming in wirh rhe main feeders but now after re-reading it I see what you may be saying Jonofrey.

I think we all need to be more explicit with our questions and whenever feasible, include a pic....and one that is easily downloaded and doesn't take the entire monitor to view it.

Most posts here are not explicit enough to give a complete answer to...so in the future perhaps we can be a bit more descriptive and detailed with what we ask. Overall I think doing such will do away with those that like to say, "Not enough info therefore I am not gonna reply", and those that like to say, "Way to big of a pic for me to download therefore I am not going to reply"! I value everyone's opinion, (umm well almost everyone ), and to lose the opportunity to see what some might state because the info provided is incomplete or the pic is just too darn big...well I think we all lose out when that happens.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Mark

Yes I am "cold" sometimes.

I just want people to think and not take any advice, my included, to heart.

If you were to meet me I am not the @$$ that I appear on the boards.

My written skills are not that great.

You were very tactful on how you let me know how my views are seen.

MP

PS I see people harmed by contractors and HI's everyday. Sometimes I need to vent. NO excuses for my tone. I just want to make people research the info that they get.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mr. Park,

Do I know you? Are you familiar with Mike Holt?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dvalley

That’s it…We need a venting Forum.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."