Grounding and Bonding

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Grounding and Bonding

Describe the Grounding Electrode System and how it is designed to comply with the NEC.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Joe;

FYI.

Some of the local municipalities in the Chicago area (Northlake, for one) is now requireing that all houses that are to be sold MUST be retrofitted with a copper ground rod.

Most of them currently use the cold water supply pipe as the ground, but the villages are requiring that when a house is going to change owners, a licensed and insured electrical contractor must (it it is no already there) install a copper rod ground (usually done on the outside, near the meter) and attach it to the service equipment. Once this is done, the village sends someone out to check it and only then does the villiage take the red tag off the sale.

Pretty good idea, if you ask me.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Will: Yes a good idea and this has been a requirement in the NEC for some time because of water pipe that were replaced with nonmetallic types.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: cradan

ground rod? Not sure what that might look like after ramming it (or trying to ram it) 8’ - 10’ into the ground???

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

The ground rod is a “Device” and is defined as an electrode, and is not made of copper, the rod is coated with copper.

The NEC also permits a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe to be used as the electrode.

When that rod is installed it is supposed to be tested to verify that it meets 250.56:

--

Originally Posted By: cradan

Let’s talk about this some more, Joe. I’m looking at the graphic representation of the grounding system. Most of the residences we inspect do not have metal framing, and few, if any, have a Ufer ground or other concrete-encased electrode specifically-designed for grounding. Add to that the possibility that a given property is supplied with potable water via a plastic water service entry line. What’s left for grounding provisions? One driven rod? Two driven rods?

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jjackson

My first inspection had 4 separate panels bonded to a cold water pipe, but the jumper at the meter was corroded. I called this and the fact that there was no driven rod installed. A grounded water pipe cannot be the only ground. Am I right, Joe?

jj

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

If you are served by a Kentucky Electric Cooperative (and that would include a large area of the state) the requirement is UFER or two(2) driven rods. If a metal water line is present and it has at least ten (10) feet in contact with soil it MUST be used as an additional grounding electrode.

Driven rods must be at least two(2) feet from building and twelve (12) inches below grade with at least six (6) feet between them.

Some inspectors will allow one (1) driven rod if it has less than 25 ohm resistance. Our local AHJ REQUIRES two.

I have not been involved with aluminum siding installing since the 60’s but we used to bond alum. siding to the grounding system. Do they still do that?

lgoodman wrote:
I have not been involved with aluminum siding installing since the 60's but we used to bond alum. siding to the grounding system. Do they still do that?

The only item that would cover this a:

Fine Print Note in 250.116 Nonelectric Equipment.

--

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Joe;

Do you see the bonding of the ground to the service equipment most at the meter, at the service equipment or somewhere else. Remember, I live in an area where conduit is pretty much mandated.

I have a hard time verifying the ground on lateral drops and the like.

Thoughts?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

meter

Originally Posted By: jmurray

wdecker wrote:
Joe;

Do you see the bonding of the ground to the service equipment most at the meter, at the service equipment or somewhere else. Remember, I live in an area where conduit is pretty much mandated.

I have a hard time verifying the ground on lateral drops and the like.

Thoughts?

My question as well.

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!