Gusset plates that are slightly separated

Every once in awhile I look at a truss and the gusset plates looking like they are slightly coming off. Not fully but still. I was wondering everyones opinions on this. Do you comment on it? This is just a general question its nothing specific.

I call it out. Gussets should be tight to the framing.

5 Likes

Yep…call it out…I would, like Lon said.

3 Likes

As already mentioned, they should be tight, if not I would recommend an SE for further evaluation.

Here’s another thread on the subject although this is probably worse than what you’re seeing.

Damaged Trusses - I’ve never seen this many truss issues in one attic - Specific Inspection Topics / Structural Inspections - InterNACHI®️ Forum

2 Likes

Gaps greater than1/32" are not acceptable.
GAP AT GUSSET>1/32" .031"-.793 mm. There was metal connector plate(s), commonly referred to as gusset plate(s) observed which had a gap of greater than 1/32" between the gusset plate(s) and the truss member(s). Gaps greater than 1/32" (.031"-.793 mm) at gusset plates significantly reduce the structural integrity of the metal connector plates. According to the Structural Building Component Association (SBCA) gusset plates with a gap from 1/32" to 1/16" can have as little as 60% effectiveness, gaps from 1/16" (.062"-1.587 mm) to 3/32" (.093"-2.381 mm) as little as 40% effectiveness, gaps larger than 3/32" (.093"-2.381 mm) have zero effectiveness. We recommend that a licensed professional engineer evaluate and prescribe any needed repairs which should be performed by a qualified licensed professional contractor. The repair documents produced by the engineer should be filed with the local building authority and a copy of the documents should be given to the home owner for their records.

Reference Truss Plate Institute and ANSI/TPI 1-1995 4.5.4.4 Tooth embedment gap is defined as the distance between the underside of embedded metal connector plate and the surface of the wood member. Tooth embedment gap shall be measured through the slot opening of the metal connector plate. The number of effective teeth per each metal connector plate contact area shall be determined based on the effectiveness ratios shown in Table 4.5.4.4.
[[Caption]]File photo of SBCA graphic showing ANSI/TPI-1995 tooth effectiveness values for gusset plate with gap at truss members.
Guess I need to update my template :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: the current standard is ANSI 1- 2014. ANSI-TPI 1-2014

5 Likes

Looks like in the ANSI-TPI 1- 2014 it moved to 3.7.5.
ANSI-TPI 1-2014 3.7.5

3 Likes

Nice reference Dave and very helpful because I know we have all seen this problem.

3 Likes

Dave F’s The Best!

1 Like

The most damaged trusses I’ve seen in one attic is 28 to date, which beat out 22, 19, as previous records. Many were in the same neighborhood. The builder of one told my client “the inspector doesn’t know what he’s talking about”. Client ended up lawyering up called about a year later and said they spent two days in his attic fixing trusses. Called two years later and said , they’re not admitting that anything is wrong with the roof, but they’re coming tomorrow to fix every tile on the roof. (Concrete tiles with one screw installed, in area where 2 screws are required to meet uplift requirements.

3 Likes

How nice Robert, bless your heart.

2 Likes

This has come up before…

2 Likes