Hard Coat Stucco

Originally Posted By: mmyhal
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a question about hard coat stucco. The home in question is in Florida and is concrete block construction with a hard coat stucco exterior. The stucco does not cut-off 8" above grade. Do you think that this application should be written up or just mentioned that it is regular practice to allow for 8" of the foundation to be exposed? Thanks for all feedback in advance

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Mark,

The 8" requirement is really more about stick frame structures and the reason for that is 8" is an acceptable amount of space to avoid water absortion into wood siding/sheathing/framing.It also helps deter termites as there will be no path way, ie. soil in contact with wood ,for termites to travel. So if this is truly an all concrete and concrete product exterior I don't see the problem.

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: dcullen

recommended clearance from grade to frame wall cladding is 8" and the clearance for masonry is 6". This is not only to prevent saturation and moisture damage from splashback but also gives the homeowner/inspector the ability to inspect the upper foundation wall and see if any settling is occurring. Even small cracks can provide a protected route for termites to access the framing members of the structure. Seeing a small crack early on can also help us address the cause such as; sub-surface drain washout, frost heaving, etc.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DCP_38562.JPG ]

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: mmyhal

Jay,

My In-laws home looks just like the photo that you posted. When you say that this is typical, do you mean that it is ok and that you do not make mention of it, or do you make a note along the lines of what Daniel suggested, that it keeps you from really inspecting the foundation? I am just curious as my father-in-law asks me questions about their house. I don't see to much of this (stucco on cmu) in SC/NC area but it is out there. Most of the stucco here is on wood frame and in that case as Daniel stated I will write it up.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Mark:

I am saying there is no problem. When it becomes a problem is when you have cracks near lintels. There will always be some moisture penetrating the structure. New construction requires 6 ML of plastic laid prior to slab pour. The normal water table is about 6-8 feet depending on the part of the state you are in. The stucco process is in thre steps:

Scratch coat
Smooth coat
Finish coat

This prevents the stucco from cracking.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member