Heater/WH access in a duplex?

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a client who is considering converting a home to a duplex.

I am trying to find if there are code requirements for access to Heating and water heater units, or if they can be kept is a separate utility room, inaccessible to at least one of the units.

I do have a call in to the Building Code Official, but I am not optimistic of a timely response, and I cannot find such requirements listed in my IRC CD.

All help is appreciated - thanks!

Originally Posted By: jpope

There is no requirement for occupants to have access to water heaters or A/C units (as far as I am aware).

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Thanks again, Jeff. You are really the best.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I do not call out codes, but I do recommend that every occupant have access to their own Electrical, Heating, Water main and other mechanicals in case of emergency.

Worst case scenario...You smell smoke, you go into the basement and you see heavy smoke coming from the heating area (that you have no acccess to)...What do you do now?

Yeah, common sense tells you that you contact the fire dept., but if you had a readily acccessible area, you would have ample opportunity to extinguish this fire, before it's too late.

Also, what happens when your Electrical panel needs to be shut down in an emergency with no access available and the neighbor's not home to gain access to this area? You now have a Fire Issue.

I always call out inaccessible mechanical areas to every unit I inspect.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."