Help me make a decision about a website please. Nick

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I need all the personal opinions you can give me about http://www.nachi.ca

Does it look good?

How is it compared to NACHI.org?

How much would you be willing to pay to have a comporable site built for you?

No its not an exam. I just have to decide if we want to buy it outright from the company that built it and I want to know what you think its worth. There is currently no built-in editor.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Nick,

It looks nice but I would have to say that NACHI.ORG is much larger. Too much click here to take a survey and win!

Too vague about exactly what they are getting with a NACHI inspector as far as education and what makes us better inspectors.

Where is the locator? Where do I find a NACHI inspector?

I believe since Chris was an inspector you are going to have a tough time filling his shoes. He knows the needs of the many, the one. He knows what we are all about! Needs and need nots! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Its pretty hard to compare anything to what Chris can do.

He was a home inspector, he's been with NACHI for years, he's a genius, he's artistic, he's the world's best webmaster (I'm not overstating that), he thinks outside the box, and I trust him as much as any man I know.

Anyway, what do you think http://www.nachi.ca is worth $$.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rstephens

I like the site but I like NACHI.org much better, have Chris compile the html code and then have someone in canada to sign off on it. I dont know if this is possible but hey it is a suggestion. Chris is D*mn good at what he does. You go Chris.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Looks liks a sales website, not anything which would really serve our org. The only thinh I like about it is the muted earth-tones. As to the rest… bag it. Our site kicks a$$…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jrooff

I would have to agree with Joe on this one, it looks like a sales site.

NACHI.org looks better and why not keep it the same, people do move from Canada to the U.S. and makes it feel homey, kinda. Kmarts, and Home Depots ect all look the same.

Better yet sell to ASHI, no give it to them. LOL

James, Lead ,follow or get out of the way.

Originally Posted By: dbush

I’m with the above two. It looks like a great “Home Inspection” site, not a great Home Inspection Organization site. If I was looking at it I would be looking for the price schedule because it seems like an individual site.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Here’s a simple design that I thought we might implement instead:

![](upload://jHiuz5yzoSdV9xpMVuHkfCZLvJv.jpeg)

What do you guys think? It's nice and simple and leaves room for content -- something very lacking in the current NACHI.ca.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://ApDiy2nCYVeHm2viSDNMFnEO8Av.html)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

hi to all

I have to say that I totaly dislike the nachi.ca site, not only does it look like a "retail" inspection site it has no feel of being connected in any way to the existing Nachi site, I am a great believer that Nachi ca should have a seperate site and content that appeals to both Canadian inspectors and their clients, but it should present much of the same "corperate identity" as the Nachi.org site.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

OK. Now I’ll weigh in on www.nachi.ca:

It looks like someone took a marketing 101 course Tuesday and Thursday nights.

A little information... can hurt you.

Now, leaving content aside for a moment, what would you expect to pay for its development, as is? $200, $2,000, $20,000 ?

Nick

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

It looks very beginner. I would say the retail price should be…

$25 and an Eminem CD

Blaine

Originally Posted By: psabados

Chris

How about leaning towards Red & White w/ Canadian Flag near NACHI.ca
Just my thought on keeping things a little more biased to our friends up north.

Existing site does look like an inspectors personnal site. Needs a little pop and some sizzle and a better survey if its to stay. Where's all the links?

Paul

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Paul,

I tried to use the flag, but I just can't find a good image. I like the image that was used in the current nachi.ca design, but it's too small... If anyone comes across a good Canadian flag that we can use, let me know.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://ApDiy2nCYVeHm2viSDNMFnEO8Av.html)

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

The site looks almost template driven… I really like the current NACHI site. And even though Cananda needs their own site. They should still look kinda like us. Since they are us…

If we give them something else, it might make them feel like a red headed step child....

Just my two cents worth.... Also I think I would pay 24.99

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Hi Nick,

in answer to your question about value of the site I can not believe that it is worth more than a few hundred dollars, it looks like a template design with absolutely no personality what so ever, who ever developed it has no clue what we are all about. Much as I have issues with some of the clutter on our site at least anyone who ccomes here gets a sence that things are happening here, the nachi.ca site is just too bloody pedestrian.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Hi Chris, are you running some test “echo” software or am I just sensing “dejavu” icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: dbush

Why are they unable to use our design for the .ca site? As it is, I would offer to buy the guy lunch (at a 2 for 1 place). it is not one for a National Organization, it has no sense of “overwhelmingness”. The site needs to project a national we are the best and soon to be the biggest.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I agree Gerry, you can definately tell that nachi.org is not a template driven site… I looked at the site a couple of times. And in my marketing mind. I don’t see much value in it… Aside from the locate and inspector feature. It certainly doesn’t have the feel for Inspectors like this one does…

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Chris,

Is there a reason why you cannot design their site?

I thought we had discussed the content of this website last month.
Well, again...this site is terrible. I'll give you my unbiased opinion about this terrible site.

1) There is wasted space on every page, more info about our organization can fill these huge gaps.
2) The 3 pics at the main page are definitely templates. Horrible depictions.
a) The Home Buyers pic is ok but could be better. Maybe showing the family looking at their new home from the outside.
b) The Real Estate pic looks to me, like female engineers. One in a lab
coat and the other holding a blueprint. What a joke. What ever happened to the real estate agent with the briefcase greeting their client on the front lawn.
c) The Home Inspector pic makes me laugh. What the he!! is he doing? This looks like an industrial electrician running wire. He's also dawning a hardhat with goggles. When's the last time you seen a Home Inspector looking like this guy. What's wrong with using a picture of a true Home Inspector with his tools/flashlight in hand showing his client a mechanical part of their home.

Chris,

You stated that you needed Canadian flags. What about these?
![](upload://3p5nlIwL3vVpoUwnhU7rdKkn0D.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: DShelton

Actually, I liked it. It seems I am the only one here that did, notwithstanding the excellent work that Chris does, I thought it looked very professional. That was not a lab coat the woman is wearing but rather a vest. Most real estate professionals are women and I see that as a grab for Real Estate Agents. Most inspectors are men. Safety glasses should always be worn regardless of mowing the grass or inspecting. These are also Canadian people, they may do inspections a little different than we do with different or more or mandated safety equipment worn and the fact that they are wearing safety equipment leads me to feel that they take safety very seriously and will take my inspection very seriously also.

I think most are looking at it with rose-colored U.S. NACHI biased glasses feeling it should look the same. It should have the feel of NACHI (or should it), but with their own distinct images and representation of Canada. But, also not knowing what the true intent of the Canadian site is...is it for them or is it to show off for Nachi-US or is it a nice blend of using the clout of NACHI with meeting the needs of the Canadians; I'm not sure whether it meets your project scope not knowing what the true intent is.

The original NACHI site has a lot of information that at times can be overwhelming to the normal lay person, but beneficial to inspectors. I don't see the site as a "template" site but rather their own beginning site with room to grow and expand. It needs some tweaking but I don't pick up that it is a retail site. I don't like the links over to US Nachi, but rather should create their own and stay within the feel or template of NACHI Canada.

I do think it should reference Canada somewhere other than inside the magnifying glass and in the nachi.ca. It doesn't readily imply it is a Canadian site. Not sure that it needs a Canadian flag, we don't have a US Flag to depict that it is an American site, why do we feel we should place a canadian flag so that the canadians going to it will know it is a canadian site. That's like implying they don't know it is Canadian and since we feel they are so ignorant they don't know they are at a canadian site, we will put their flag there so they will know. No, I think Nachi Canada would be sufficient. I give it a thumbs up for the beginnings of a Canadian site with room to grow.

As far as price, depends on what they are selling. If you want the domain name and it is taken...you pay want they want or find a different name. There isn't a lot of work put into the site, doesn't appear to be a lot of maintenance, but can it be edited to place what you want in there, if it can't, then you will be starting over anyway and all you want is the domain name. Price is a negotiable issue and is only settled when the two parties determine it is settled.

Debby