NACHI Approved affordable Inspector Websites

Originally Posted By: Don West
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello to all,

I've been working with some of the NACHI chapters to provide websites for those that need them. They are non-templated, custom sites at a very affordable price. I spoke at the Atlanta Meeting Saturday and had some interest so Nick encouraged me to post here.

All the details are on my site and there is a sample Inspector site there.

Here is the link:
www.downtoearthsites.com

Feel free to call or email me from the site with questions or comments.

Thanks for your time.
Don West

Sorry folks, the images were broken, All fixed now.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

P.S. NACHI will soon be offering web hosting/design to its members. Very full featured and customizable, but you’ll be able to edit any page as if you were using MS word. I know I’ve been promising this for a while now. Those who went to the first New England meeting saw a preview. I’ve hit a few roadblocks since then and certain priorities have been changed (my main priority is working on exam and education right now), but I promise it will exist at some point icon_smile.gif

Features will include:
  • Downloadable reports
  • Online pre-inspection contract signing
  • Fully editable and customizable with no tech knowledge
  • Online scheduling system
  • Search engine submission
  • Umm... that's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but more I'm sure.
Anyway, just like to mention this in any web design/hosting thread ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://pa16aQ8N0YMENzkXLV4DOeVBUSW.html)

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Chris,

When you state that "NACHI" is providing this service, do you actually mean NACHI, or will this be Chris Morrell?

There is a difference.

If it is a NACHI offer, how will the pricing structure be, and how customizable will the formatting be? Who is the hosting company, and what degree of fault tolerance will the hosting servers and Instenet communication links have. There is a bis difference between hosting capabilities, and web design. I may be interested in web design, which can be uploaded to my hosting company.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe,

It's a little bit of both. I'm developing an application that will allow NACHI members to create a hosted account on one of NACHI's web servers. This account will be managed through a web control panel, allowing the member to create pages, upload images and reports, et cetera. The service will be available only to NACHI members.

It's not a traditional web host -- you won't be able to upload your own html, etc. files to the server. Everything will be through a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) control. There will be a varying degree of flexibility in the design. In the beginning I hope to have about 10 major designs done in several color schemes (with 2-3 font schemes as well). After that, depending on the popularity of the service, more designs will be created. You won't be able to download the designed site and host it elsewhere. It's an entire package.

This will be a NACHI service offered through me. It works much like our upcoming dial-up internet access. The service will be offered to NACHI members only, but will be managed in part by a separate company. The dial-up access will use another ISP's access numbers and support staff, but will be limited to NACHI members and have NACHI-specific features. Both the ISP and NACHI win because they get new customers and we get another great feature to offer our members. The website application will work the same way.

We've not yet completely worked out the pricing for the system. Similar applications can go anywhere from $40-$80/mo. I've guaranteed to keep it under $20/mo for NACHI members. I want our members to have to pay as little as possible while still covering the support and development costs.

I'll post more information about it when the system is nearly ready to be released.

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://hmNpiDITBPnVrcT0glOSNkmR7PV.html)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chris,

I think that is an excellent idea. Having an FTP server at your fingertips alone is worth more than $20 a month.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Do we really think that starting an ISP is where NACHI needs to be going. I mean there are a ton of ISP out there and most people are moving to broadband.

I am not bashing the idea, just asking if there aren't other priorities and things we should be doing...

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

I also question the management of such an endeavor. For anyone to stste that this will not be management intensive is kidding themselves.

What about the financial impact, service level agreements, etc. Did we put any of this out to bid? What were the specifications?

As to the $20 per month, my site costs me $107 per year for domain registration, development tools (or upload my own site), e-mail (to my domain), on-line forms, etc. The site has never been down. It has also never been slow.

There are many opptions out there for the small businessman. How will your offering handle meta-tags? Will a person be able to embed them?

--
Joe Farsetta

Gary,

I agree that an ISP is the last thing we need to be focusing on. Nonetheless, NACHI is so reliant on the internet that we feel that offering affordable internet service to our members is something we want to do.

Joe,

Sure, you're paying about $100/year for your site. Others are paying AInspect $60/mo for their site. Others may be paying more. Others may be paying less. And?

We'll be offering the features of a more expensive service (password protected reports, et cetera) for a fraction of what you'd pay elsewhere. As for meta tags... sure you can embed them into each page. But as I've mentioned in other posts, meta tags are pretty much worthless nowadays.

--
Chris Morrell

I still question who will be managing things, and what financial impact this will have on this organization.

You stated to be a couple of weeks ago that CPU cycles and bandwith are really not a problem for us. We are having difficulty clearing an e-mail issue, and in the next breath we are turning into an ISP.

This seems strange to me. I'd still like to see the ROI for this endeavor, and what it will cost us to set-up and run this. What service levels are we receiving, what are the guarantees, and what are we offering?

Where's the justification?

--
Joe Farsetta

Joe,

The dial-up service costs NACHI nothing to set up and nothing to maintain. Everything will be handled by an external ISP. We'll be using their dial-up numbers, et cetera, but our own domain name for e-mail. They'll handle all support calls and all equipment maintenance. Don't worry about it. When everything's set up I'll post more information about the service.

--
Chris Morrell

what is is costing us, and what are the sla’s they will perform to. what will we be offering our members, and what guarantees come along with it?

finally, what is the financial justification for this. when you say "dont worry about it", I worry about it. remember chris, I lived and breathed this stuff for the past 15 years. I've run ISPs. I've sold SLAs. Without the justification and true need, this should be on the back burner. we have more important things to do than this, IMO. And, to say that it will be completely outsourced and managed by others is a recipe for disaster. I know. I've done it with some of the major players in the business.

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

NACHI email for members upgrade almost done.

Nick

I say that I have to agree with Joe. Web hosting is one thing and is fine and dandy. But ISP, I just don’t see the need for it. All of members are already using an ISP obviosly.

When you say they are going to have reports online. Are you know saying that NACHI has gotten into the report creation software business also.

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

jfarsetta wrote:
I still question who will be managing things, and what financial impact this will have on this organization.

You stated to be a couple of weeks ago that CPU cycles and bandwith are really not a problem for us. We are having difficulty clearing an e-mail issue, and in the next breath we are turning into an ISP.

This seems strange to me. I'd still like to see the ROI for this endeavor, and what it will cost us to set-up and run this. What service levels are we receiving, what are the guarantees, and what are we offering?

Where's the justification?

Joe

How dare you question," WHO WILL BE MANAGING THINGS"or the "FINANCIAL IMPACT ON THIS ORG." You of all people should know better than that ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

"JUSTIFICATION" . We don't need no stinking JUSTIFICATION

Gary:

NACHI can be viewed as a business that maintains a huge inventory of future membership benefits, just like other businesses have an inventory of parts/products.

Many benefits are out the door already http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm , some are being assembled or packaged, some are back for servicing, still others are on the shelf in inventory as ideas.

Financially, NACHI will make the same amount of $$$$ on future projects as we made on the recent free signs Dave Bush & Ken Trice produced for us last week, or the $$$ we make off of Don West who started this thread, or the $$$ we make in kickbacks from the insurance companies we do deals with, or the $$$ we net on all our Chapter meetings, or the $$$ we make on all the http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm, or the $$$ we make on the advertising we sell on this site, or the $$$ we make on .....

Zip.

Nick

Your talking to Gary S right…

I get so confused..

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Yes. Gary S.

Nick

Jeepers!

I thought I was helping NACHI generate income in the form of new members by sponsoring the new Chapter meetings with $225 chunks of my income in the form of free website builds for door prizes.

I thought it helped NACHI appear to have good contacts in lots of different industries, when they got good sponsor support from many different types of vendors.

I thought this sponsorship idea actually helped generate interest in NACHI meetings.

I thought all that led to new memberships for NACHI and $$$ for NACHI.

Hmmmmmm....I guess marketing just doesn't work that way.

Silly me. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Rather than making your sponsors appear as sponges in these threads, you might want to say "thanks for the sponsorship" Nick.

Granted, we sponsors are on the bottom of the $$$ generating totem pole for NACHI. But we DO contribute, in an indirect way, to the success of NACHI and it's members.

Just my two cents worth.