Help wanted!!

Originally Posted By: jrooff
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

? It looks as if we only have 50-70 member willing to get involved in just a poll, out of what, about 2,500 members. There has to be a few more willing participants out there that want or need NACHI’s help or enjoy all the information posted for the taking. PLEASE respond to this plea as we need your help in order to help others.

Well let’s see, 106 on lookers and not one suggestion, about par for the course.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: psabados

We know how you feel

Paul
Convention comittee

Now if you had a poll that asked how many would like $100.00 free, you'd overload the system

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Ummm…put me down for a yes on the $100.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

It appears that most of our members are passive in providing input to our bulletin board; this is not unusual. Someone studied the number of posts that our members made over a period of time and found that most (a very large percentage) didn’t post at all and that less than 10% of our members were responsible for something like 90% of the communication on this board.

This doesn’t mean that a poll with 50-60 responses is statistically irrelevant. It simply means that the accuracy of our measurement isn’t what we want it to be.

Suggestion: E-mail the poll to all members. Ask for a receipt.

Regards,

--
Alan Fernbaugh
Five Star Inspection Services
Baton Rouge, La.

I guess it seems strange to me that if someone takes the risk of being self employed would not take every advantage to be successful. Just by answering a poll could not only help that person but in turn help others, what’s the big draw back here?

Do most people join an association just to say there in one? Obviously most people in this organization do not under stand the freedom NACHI gives them and we all know freedom come with a price and the price here is very small, just vote and maybe become a little involved.

But the sad truth here is you can join and take all you want and not put anything back. icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Hi James,

You bring up some very interesting points on the poll situation. I have personally asked Dave B. to look into placing all polls under a separate heading on the forum. Somewhere a person can go to immediately without having to search all over this message board to find. It is my belief that polls should be under the members only section (unless of course, we are looking for input from our guests). I am curious as to how many of our NACHI brothern/sistern don't visit the member's only section, because they may have lost their password, etc. Dave B. has assured me that the poll situation is of concern to the steering committee members and has virtually promised me that he would look into it personally, once he has gotten caught up on all of his new duties. (Talk about a full plate of travel, phone, etc. If he gets any busier we'll have to figure out how to clone him).

The poll situation looks dismal at times, but, when you compare it to the National Voting Statistics, we really aren't that far out of line. But still, all in all, I do hope that members appreciate the extra time and effort that a few of our dedicated NACHI members put into development of educational, marketing, legislation, conferences, etc., and show our support to them by placing or vote of confidence in them by simply voting in their respective polls.

John, You have said a lot of what I was thinking and put it so elegantly. I would have just said, Hey listen up & get off your dead a$$ and pitch in. But thanks to you I won’t have to do that. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dcarroll

I’m new to NACHI, and I just got around to using the message board. I think it’s great and when I see a poll I usually give my opinion. There is a lot of good information here for newbies especially. I agree with John. If there is a poll it should be highlited in some way. Make it stand out. Most people who come here, look for things that interest them. Make it interesting or make impossible not to see it.

Originally Posted By: rwills

James, I posted a suggestion related to this a couple of months ago when having members vote on issues came up. I suggested (especially when it’s a poll/vote on NACHI issues), that maybe when a poll is posted ,Chris could have it automatically PM or email all members requesting them to vote. Ex: (A poll has just been posted to the NACHI BB board pertaining to an issue that effects all NACHI members, we would appreciate if you could log in and participate by (time frame). Thank you, NACHI staff!) Not only would this get more polls answered, it may bring more members to participate on the board in general. There was no response the last time I made the suggestion so I doubt there will this one either! eusa_snooty.gif

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I think it might just be that many people only take those poles they are interested in.

I've taken a few, but ignored others, for that very reason.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Robert, That is a good idea( the E-mail thing) but I wonder how much work is involved to do that, for Chris that is, or maybe he could delegate someone else to do it.

And John is working with Chris to set the poll’s in one polling spot on the board, I think that will help instead of having the in all different spots on the board.

If you have a good idea like this one don’t give up, I know I don’t, sometime you have to bring it up a few time’s for the right person to help take it where you want it to go.

Only my opinion, and sometime's it's subject to change.

Originally Posted By: rwills

James, I would think it would be fairly easy to mass mail or PM all the members. I’ll try to pass the idea along to see where it goes.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com