Help with dispute

Originally Posted By: dchongo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have an issue that I would like to have some help with. I inspected a water heater in a house that was wrapped with an insulation blanket. At the time of the inspection I tried to feel through the insulation looking for the relief valve and piping. I was unable to feel the piping or relief valve. I indicated in my report that Local codes require to have relief valve piped full size to the floor and that there was no valve. My client indicated that they wanted some of the defects corrected in the purchase agreement. (One of the items was to have a relief valve installed.) I recieved a call from a plumber who was at the house to install that piping. The plumber informed me that there was a valve installed. ( The valve was on the back side of the heater against the furnace (under the insulation blanket). Days later I recieved a bill from the seller of the home for the plumbing service call. (My client was the buyer of the house). Apparently I missed the valve which was hidden by the blanket. What should I do about this? Should I pay the bill or inform the home owner that I’m not responsible for the cost of the service call?

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Dave:

Pay the bill. Chalk it up as a learning experience. You can write this one off as a business expense.

Do the right thing. Problem is, you didn't agree to it right away.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: rwills

For future reference, I usually take a photo of the water heater and state: “NOTE: Water heater was operating at time of inspection but not accessible for full inspection due to insulation wrapping”.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: fduemig

Quote:
I indicated in my report that Local codes require to have relief valve piped full size to the floor and that there was no valve
Quote:
Should I pay the bill or inform the home owner that I'm not responsible for the cost of the service call?

If you said, "no valve was observed due to insulation blanket" or, "the heater may not have a valve", you might have beeen okay, but you said there was not one present. I would pay the bill - good customer service.
Fred

--
Fred Duemig

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Many times I’ll cut the blanket off (mainly because I like to hear the sharp snap of precision cold steel when I flip my blade open) to properly inspect the water heater and then indicate such in my report. If the blanket is nasty I’ll leave it on and disclaim the water heater.

Some manufacturers have it stated directly on the lable that external blankets will void their warranty.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jpope

dchongo wrote:
I indicated in my report that Local codes require to have relief valve piped full size to the floor and that there was no valve.

I agree that you bought it with this statement.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gporter

Pay it.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

Pretty inexpensive lesson really…just gotta remember we can only inspect what we can see. Otherwise disclaim it. icon_wink.gif

“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him.”

Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: dandersen

This was an inexpensive lesson.

I have brought this scenario up several times with other issues. We have really got to watch the “recommend further evaluation by…”

It seem to be the answer to all woes for some inspectors.

It will become the source of some woes if were not careful!

If we recommend someone evaluate something that is OK, the bill for the call may be in the mail!

It may not just be a plumbing service call either. It may be the cost of a lost RE Sale and everything that goes along with it.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Well, if I find a proiblem with an HVAC unit or a roof etc. I call for a pro.

This is not just to cove my a$% this is meant to cover my clients a$% as well.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Is it just me or has Todds’ head swollen three sizes since he won that naming contest? icon_lol.gif

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jrooff

The contest! icon_lol.gif Pay it, calling for a licensed contractor to evaluate something you can not see, is like in this case, is not the answer, disclaim it.

www.mshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Good call Todd! icon_smile.gif

Just be sure that you don't just measure the return/supply dry bulb temp and start calling.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

tallen wrote:
Well, if I find a proiblem with an HVAC unit or a roof etc. I call for a pro.

This is not just to cove my <b>a$%</b> this is meant to cover my clients <b>a$%</b> as well.

Good call I do not hesitate if it wrong , Get more info and get it fixed .

jonofrey wrote:
Is it just me or has Todds' head swollen three sizes since he won that naming contest? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Sorry I do not see any changes in Todd

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com