Helping other HI

Originally Posted By: B Ray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If a person wanting to become a HI and they were asking questions ,would you help them or try to discourage them ,because they maybe another HI competeing against you. If they were asking about NACHI also ,would that make a difference in your answers.

The reason I’m asking , there is 1 NACHI HI in my area and was curious the response I could expect. I know that everyone responds differently towards a newbie asking questions,was just curious if being in NACHI might make this person open up more freely .

Originally Posted By: ekartal

There are HI’s that will go all out to help you. Some won’t tell you what kind of tools they use. The association really isn’t the issue.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: tbramlett

I have found more help on this message board, than anywhere else I have looked.

Originally Posted By: jmorrison

B Ray

You should join our organization. What are you waiting for.

--
www.mainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I have NACHI brethren within what I consider my territory. If any of them have a question, I will gladly help.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I would help any NACHI or other starting out HI anywhere.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

This is a great place for newcomers. icon_redface.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: rsummers

I wish that I would have had the information that is so easily gotten on this board when I 1st started out. I spent hours researching to find the answer to the questions I had.

Originally Posted By: B Ray

I will join ,I’m waiting until after I get back from my AHTI 7 day course. I want to get my money in order first, I’m closing on my first real estate investment purchase tommorrow and then on Friday leaving for school. After I get back I’ll get it done and join, just trying to get all ducks in a row first.

I have been very fortunate to have a message board like this, I have already recieved so much information in the week on here than i could have found in a month looking on the net. Thanks guys for all the responses.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Ditto on the help here also. I also offer ride-along for newbies or those thinking about being in the HI profession

Paul

Originally Posted By: Roger blevins

I need some ride alongs myself.

Man i need some help!

Some body has got to help me with these heat puming systems.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

If anyone new would like to go on ride alongs, read up on crawl space issues and add some coveralls and bug spray to your gear … icon_eek.gif

Then offer to do the crawling in crawl spaces for some local HI's in exchange for the ride alongs ... should keep you busy ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Best resources for new guys are the inspector message boards.

Here at NACHI.
www.inspectionnews.com
www.inspectorsjournal.com

Read the General & Miscellaneous & Busines related (legal,advertising,insurance) type threads first.

If you decide to do it, then it's time to read all the specific system threads such as electrical, plumbing, exterior, etc.

I'd offer ride alongs, but so far of the three that asked, none have showed up when the time came. Must have lost interest.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rhinck

B Ray,

I think you are alredy ahead of the game by reading this message board. I also went to AHIT but didn't get on any message board until later. This has been an excellent resource. You will really gain alot from AHIT as well- I thought they did an excellent job. Good Luck!

Rick

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

Roger blevins wrote:
Man i need some help!

Some body has got to help me with these heat puming systems.

Roger,

I'm not a NACHI member but I will help you if I can.

What kind of help do you need with heat pumps?

What part of the country are you in?

How long have yo been doing home inspections?

Have you had any formal (school) HI training?

none

Originally Posted By: jpope

Roger blevins wrote:

My clients say why can't you test the AC. I say cause it cold out and I do not want to cause damage. The client get mad and say that is bull <b>s#!t</b>. I say well you can turn it on if you want. the client say no it not my job.

What part of the country are you in? NJ

How long have yo been doing home inspections? 1 years

Have you had any formal (school) HI training? yes

Man i need some more help these peoples be gettin mad bout the home inspection prosess.

Man I think i need some more ride alongs with somebody. No body wants to show me the tricks of the trade. man i need some more help

Roger,

Are you for real? This sounds like a joke. If you are serious, I apologize for my insensitivity, but you really need to work on how to articulate more effectively.

I'm not too sure what you need help with but there are several ways you can explain to a client the potential problems that could occur from operating an A/C unit when the ambient temperature is below 65 degrees.

A simplified version of the basic physics involved in removing the indoor heat and transferring it to the outdoors is usually sufficient. This helps the client understand that you aren't full of schmit and can give you a little credibility.

If you have had formal training, get out your HVAC books and re-read the sections regarding A/C units.

Otherwise, post a topic in the HVAC section of this board so that others can benefit from the thread as well.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

I guess i need some more ride alongs.

Roger blevins wrote:

My clients say why can't you test the AC. I say cause it cold out and I do not want to cause damage. The client get mad and say that is bull <b>s#!t</b>. I say well you can turn it on if you want. the client say no it not my job

I may have politely left.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect