Home Inspection Scam

While there are certain truths in this home inspection request, I find that there are numerous red flags with the request.

The request and corespondents are e-mail only, with a questionable e-mail address.
There is also a request charge for additional money via credit card to pay the homes care taker.

Thoughts?

It’s a scam.

4 Likes

Been going on for many many years.

Write them back & tell them your policy is a deposit of $1200 by credit card for you to proceed with research & estimate. A certain amount, to be determined, will be refundable if not hired. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Play along, get the card number, report it stolen.

3 Likes

I receive the same scam via text sometimes. If I have time I like to string them along for awhile. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m not an inspector, but a developer for InterNACHI - I get these also and I string them along, like Joseph DePiero, when I have time. Once I told a scammer that I only inspect near the Sea of Tranquility (on the moon) and they said it was nearby. My next idea is to start referencing mountains on Mars.

7 Likes

Total scam! I received this same email a couple months ago.
Full on criminal enterprise. Blacklist, block, delete.

Elliott Home Inspections, Inc.
4965 Twin Lakes Rd Unit 66
Boulder, CO 80301
Mobile: 720-218-8139

[www.Elliott-HomeInspections.com]
service@elliott-homeinspections.com

100% scam. I just received a similar request this past week and they are getting a bit craftier now - they texted me back and forth instead of via email this time. Be careful if y’all see something like the following snippet of my text conversation with them:

I opened a case with my State’s Attorney’s Office and sent them the entire text thread since there was a phone number in hopes that they may be able to track down the source - doubtful I know, but if we don’t try, they’ll keep coming at us with these scams. The old saying “if it’s too good to be true, it is” is still valid. If the old HI Spidey-Sense is going off, listen to it.

I just got the same scam. They even gave me an actual house on the market. The moment they only cared about my merchant account red flags started to fly. Same phone number and everything. I will be filling a report.