Home Inspections Future

I wonder how all other cities will fair?

It certainly does not look very good for this year again.

5 Strongest U.S. Housing Markets: Dec. 2010-Dec. 2011
San Diego, Calif. +3.5%
Kennewick, Wash. +3.4%
Pittsburgh, Pa. +2.7%
Fargo, N.D. +2.6%
Washington, D.C. +2.5%

5 Weakest U.S. Housing Markets: Dec. 2010-Dec. 2011
Reno, Nev. -7.2%
Orlando, Fla. -6.5%
Boise City, Id. -6.4%
Daytona Beach, Fla. -6.3%
Port St. Lucie, Fla. -6.3%

Marcel it has picked up here in the last 2 weeks .Jan. was slow The last year was steady though.

Looks great if you ask me.

The industry lost a larger percentage of inspectors than the real estate market lost as a percentage of sales. I believe there has been a recent net gain of inspections per inspector.

Having said that, I will say that it shouldn’t matter anyway. The ratio of supply (inspectors) to demand (inspections) may fluctuate, but it fluctuates toward equilibrium.

If the number of inspections doubled tomorrow there would be a freak period where we couldn’t keep up and we’d all be busy. But it wouldn’t last because within a few months, the number of inspectors would double to meet demand.

If your marketing program is so weak that your inspection business relies on there being some freak period where you are only busy when there is more demand than supply (a period that doesn’t ever last long)… you really should reconsider your decision to be a business person.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/waterville,me_rb/#/homes/for_sale/Winslow-ME/55241_rid/44.57176,-69.466038,44.464538,-69.786701_rect/11_zm/1_rs/1_fr/

Waterville

• 200 results. 1 unmapped.

• For Sale (164)

• For Rent (35)

• Make Me Move (1)

• Recently Sold (0)

Winslow

• 100 results. 47 unmapped.

• For Sale (100)

• For Rent (0)

• Make Me Move (0)

• Recently Sold (0)

:slight_smile:

Glad to hear that Wayne.
For the amount of houses for sale here for the population, it is unreal. :slight_smile:

Knoxville

• 6549 results. 653 unmapped.

•                                                                                For Sale                             (3449)

•                                                                                For Rent                             (183)

•                                                                                Make Me Move                             (149)

•                                                                                Recently Sold                             (2835)

Your numbers sure do look a lot better my friend. :slight_smile:

I guess that is what you get for living in a low populated area. :wink:

Right on.

I’m in the same boat (ship), or worse Marcel… check out my County stats…

Owatonna, MN.
392 results. 53 unmapped.
For Sale(387)
For Rent(3)
Make Me Move(2)
Recently Sold(0)

Steele County, MN.
469 results. 76 unmapped.
For Sale(464)
For Rent(3)
Make Me Move(2)
Recently Sold(0)

I would say so Jeff.
Market all you want, if they don’t sell they don’t get inspected.
Only 4=6 inspectors in this area. :slight_smile:

More to the point, if there’s no homes selling, there are very few buyers even looking.

And becomming a CMI is supposed to help me how?

When homes are selling, I have few problems getting inspections.

There are currently 8 active HI’s that reside in my county, and about another 25 that advertise that they inspect in my area, from out of county.

And yes, I am a Full Time Inspector!

How do I survive in this market? I do not lowball, and, I will travel anywhere in my state! (Yes, I get travel fees). In 2010, approx 50% of all homes I inspected were more than 50 miles away (one way). Approx 20% of those were over 100 miles away (one way).

Maybe I need another Logo!!

http://www.upack.com/press/article/growth-in-the-phoenix-real-estate-market-800387501

Phoenix-area December home sales rose more than usual from November and posted only a slight year-over-year sales decline as the market saw gains in investor activity, foreclosure resales and sub-$100,000 transactions. The median sale price fell on a year-over-year basis for the sixth consecutive month, to the lowest level in just over 12 years, a real estate information service reported.

While December’s new-home sales remained extraordinarily low, the number of homes that resold rose year-over-year for the first time in eight months, to the highest level for a December since 2005.

A total of 8,706 new and resale houses and condos closed escrow during December in the combined Maricopa-Pinal counties metropolitan area. That was up 22.1 percent from the month before but was down 1.4 percent from a year earlier, according to DataQuick Information Systems of San Diego, which tracks real estate trends nationally via public property records.

Have Gun Will Travel
ah, I mean Need Inspection will Travel :mrgreen:

I have had calls from 70 miles away and denied paying .50 a mile only.
People will not hire an inspector for that price.
Home inspectors or few and far between up here North of me.

There are homes in my area that have been for sale for over a year.
Prices are comining down all the time and so is the value of our own homes.
Not a good time to sell, but sure is good time to buy.

Still no work with my previous employer on the Commercial building arena.
Picking up miscellaneous work for his two brothers, and that is it.

Still working at the Naval shipyard and Renovation work on weekends so I can survive and pay the bills.
Hope it gets better for you Jeff. :slight_smile:

5 Weakest U.S. Housing Markets: Dec. 2010-Dec. 2011
Reno, Nev. -7.2%
Orlando, Fla. -6.5%
Boise City, Id. -6.4%
Daytona Beach, Fla. -6.3%
Port St. Lucie, Fla. -6.3%

I live between Orlando, Daytona and Port St Lucie and did more than 10 home inspections this week.

Houses are selling, just not for much.

All depends on the area, I guess John. Glad to here you are busy. :slight_smile:

Here are the numbers from the 7 counties in my service area. I certainly can’t complain. I have seen a decent jump in my numbers vs last year and that’s without the 8K tax credit. And I do credit last years tax credit for allowing me to get enough business to keep my head above water.

I hope things pick up for those of you in areas that are being hit hard.

Butler County Ohio

For Sale (3005)
For Rent (79)
Make Me Move (171)
Recently Sold (3383)

Hamilton County - Cincinnati

For Sale (6752)
For Rent (624)
Make Me Move (452)
Recently Sold (1459)

Montgomery County - Dayton

For Sale (5791)
For Rent (324)
Make Me Move (377)
Recently Sold (6212)

Warren County

For Sale (2215)
For Rent (76)
Make Me Move (197)
Recently Sold (2170)

Greene County

For Sale (1153)
For Rent (72)
Make Me Move (113)
Recently Sold (1072)

Clermont County

For Sale (2129)
For Rent (58)
Make Me Move (85)
Recently Sold (1971)

Preble County

For Sale (434)
For Rent (5)
Make Me Move (5)
Recently Sold (399)

Makes a differce Kevin in the population.
100 homes for sale in my town pop. of 7000

Waterville next door has 15,600 and has 200 homes for sale.

And not many selling at the moment.

:slight_smile:

I agree Marcel, Population, but also the local economy & the ability to market yourself. I’ve seen many come & go.

Check out these numbers in So Cal.

Los Angeles County

• 135972 results. 2078 unmapped.

• For Sale (55K)

• For Rent (6010)

• Make Me Move (3569)

• Recently Sold (74K)

Holy cow Kevin, that is unreal.

I agree marketing can help and unfortunately, that is not one of my strongest assests. I have never been one to go door to door to find some work. Until last year when I got laid off. :mrgreen::wink: